Recipe ideas for first BIAB.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought myself a 40 litre Crown urn and I'm trying to plan what to brew for my first few BIAB batches. I will probably order the ingredients as per recipe for my first attempts, rather than buy sacks full of grain.

Some of my favourite beers are, Little Creatures P.A, Coopers P.A, White Rabbit White Ale, Hoegaarden and Pilsner Urquell among others. I have been trying to match some of these styles, brewing kit beers, with varying levels of success and now I'm keen to see how I go with my new BIAB setup.

With my first batch, I will be trying to get temperatures and timing right so simplicity in the recipe might be important.

I've already got a Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey, a 3944 Belgian Wit, a 3068 Weihenstephan and a Fermentis US 05 in the fridge and I would like some tried and tested recipes to set me on the right path.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

For your virgin run you can't go past DSGA rye version
Easy as brew and taste great

You can't go wrong with a Coopers - I was going to refer you to the DB but, erm, well.

Culture up some yeast out of a couple of longnecks (can take 3 days)

24L brew:

Coopers pale
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.700
Total Hops (g): 45.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.005 (°P): 1.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.42 %
Colour (SRM): 5.1 (EBC): 10.1
Bitterness (IBU): 33.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (74.47%)
1.000 kg Wheat Malt (21.28%)
0.200 kg Carared (4.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
15.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Coopers recultured bottle yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Dr Smurto's English IPA. Delicious and very simple, very few ingredients.

Plenty of good suggestions to get your first few on the boil.

Could step mash could single infusion, best keep it easy for the first few so maybe 64c-65c

50% Pils/Pale
50% Wheat
Bitter to 15 IBU (usually something noble but anything you have)
3068 for 7 days at 18c then bottle or keg.
7-10 days later and she'll be drinking well.

Thanks for the suggestions fellers, I remembered when I saw Bribies post that I also have some Coopers Pale Ale yeast in my fridge, that I recultured from a six pack a few weeks ago, used in a brew, then rinsed the yeast.

I might do that first and follow up with a couple of Dr Smurtos.

FWIW, i'm a new BIABer as well. i did bigger beers but couldn't discern the tastes and what each malt or hop brought to the table. i decided to try an easy brew that only had ale malt (with crystal to round it out) and a single hop - i'm not trying to toot my own horn but it turned out to be the best i've done yet and it was really simple. i have a better understanding now about those taste profiles. i preferred that myself rather than throwing a lot in and now knowing what made what taste.

95% pale ale malt
5% crystal 60

2.2g/l cascade at 60
0.5g/l cascade at 20
0.5g/l cascade at 5

for about 30-35 IBU

US-05 (or your coopers) at 17C

Back