Recipe Idea - Por Single Hop, Single Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or youll end up with a weird perfume beer :)

That's what megaswill drinkers think when they drink our homebrew. Weird flowery, fruity crap. "What is this? A fuckin' Pasito shandy? Got any beer?"

I've got 2kg of POR and Cluster because I love my Aussie Lager and Ales ... but a man's gotta know POR's limatations.

My Hopfenweizen with Citra is so gay you can put a moustache on it and ride it in the Mardi Gras parade. :wub:

POR also used by Coopers, and I don't think you can lump Coopers in with terrible mega swill.

Magaswill aint all estery either. Great fan of Coopers, but... some days their beer is totally unwanted on the palate.

Drinking a cluster/por bitter with marris notter and a clean out of the specialties cupboard, 05 was the yeast,... its shithouse because of the overhandedness of the crystal malts, the hop combination is really good and something i would do again but maybe cut my por additions back to 30 or less

:wub: marris notter

I used to be a POR knocker until I tried it using it as FWH and was impressed with its well rounded bitterness without effecting the flavour and aroma of other hop additions. Used it this way a number of times and have been very happy with it.
For malt I'd suggest either JW Trad Ale or Export Pils, yeast wise I'd seek out something nice and clean like a US ale, or Danish/Continental lager depending which style you want.

The recipe looks sound to me............ if you can... use fresh flowers. They are much better.

I love using POR........... its doesnt make "fantastic" beer but i really enjoy a good SMASH with ale malt and POR.

A little bit of late hops can go well but dont over do the late hops.

I made an aussie plae ale years ago that beat a lot of APA's in a NSW state comp with just JW ale... a bit of wheat and POR FWH and 45 min boil.

Mash lower at 64 to 65 for a good aussie pale ale. They arnt suposed to be heavy and 67 is getting up there with high end temps.

A fantastic beer i made a while ago was using Golden Promise and cluster only. I called it Cluster Bomb Pale Ale.

YUM

Shit, No wonder my extract beers have been boring, I've been using POR as a single hop and tried nothing else.
I have just finished fermenting my first AG, a JSGA clone and I shit myself with how much better it tasted than my extracts (and i haven't even done the 15g dry hop in the fermenter yet)... possibly partly due to using POR and nothing else...

Ammarillo does taste nice :icon_cheers:

Back