Recipe Help - Pale Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awall

Reaction score
I'm going to try an extract brew for my next beer, and want to see if I can make something comparable to the pre-hopped kit beers I've been brewing so far. I have 2x 1.5kg cans of Morgans extra pale LME and was thinking of adding 500g of regular DME and maybe a little dextrose. I went with the extra pale malt so it comes out nice and light. I would like to end up with a pretty standard 5% beer, maybe around 30IBU's and have just a slight hop flavour/aroma... Just for reference, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a bit too malty and hoppy in comparison to what I would like to achieve (really nice beer though :chug: ).

I was thinking of doing a single hop beer and bought some Sorachi Ace hops (AA 12.6%). But the more I've read about them, it seems like they may be a little extreme, so I will probably mix in some Cascade too.

I can only manage a 5L boil and was planning on boiling the 500g of DME for the hop additions. How would you go about the hop schedule for this brew with the Sorachi and Cascade? I've been using ianh's spreadsheet but am unsure of where to start.

Has anyone tried anything similar with good results? I know it's a bit boring, but I just feel like making a simple, easy drinking beer this time.

Cheers!

Sounds good. I've never used Sorachi Ace because it sounds like a Japanese cartoon character - but to be honest, any combo of high AA hops will work for a 30 IBU APA.

I was playing around with the spreadsheet and get 27 IBU's with this combo in a 5L boil.

10g Sorachi Ace @ 45mins

10g each, Sorachi Ace and Cascade @ 20mins

10g each, Sorachi Ace and Cascade @ 10mins

10g each, Sorachi Ace and Cascade @ 5mins

How does that look?

I was playing around with the spreadsheet and get 27 IBU's with this combo in a 5L boil.

10g Sorachi Ace @ 45mins

10g each, Sorachi Ace and Cascade @ 20mins

10g each, Sorachi Ace and Cascade @ 10mins

10g each, Sorachi Ace and Cascade @ 5mins

How does that look?

looks alright to me....I'd personally move the 5 min addition down to 1 or 2 mins to emphasize aroma

also i hear the sorachi can be quite overpowering so maybe it is better off blended 1 part to 2 cascade but there is something to be said for simplicity

let us know how it turns out

tommo

Back