Recipe Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm looking to put down an American pale ale style and am looking for some recipe help.

I have previously done a Fat Yakish beer which I really likes using a tin of Coopers Pale, a tin of light extract and some cascade and NS hops.
I'd like to get away from using the hopped tins and just use extract but not sure which hop to use to bitter the wort as the previous recipe was a bit light on bitterness.

I have:
2 tins light extract
500g Carapils
NS hops
Cascade hops
Pride of Ringwood (brand new and never used this type before)
plus a bit of Galaxy and Centennial

Can anyone suggest a recipe using the above?

2 tins
250gm carapils steeped 85c for 30 minutes.

centennial 10gm for 60 min.
cascade and galaxy 10-20gm each for 10 min.-depending how much hop flavour you want.
dry hop cascade 20gm as ferment nearing end, leave for 3 days,
rack for 4 days, bottle.

You'll need some sort of brewing software to calculate all this but I'd go bittering with centennial, cascade at 20 mins and galaxy thrown in the fermenter. If you feel the need use half the carapils, but in all honesty I don't think it's required when using the coopers extract tins, as there will be enough body there anyway. I would suggest you get your hands on some light crystal malt though to get a good malt profile, 3-400g should suffice. Ferment with a good American ale yeast like US-05 or Wyeast 1272, I prefer the later

You'll need some sort of brewing software to calculate all this but I'd go bittering with centennial, cascade at 20 mins and galaxy thrown in the fermenter. If you feel the need use half the carapils, but in all honesty I don't think it's required when using the coopers extract tins, as there will be enough body there anyway. I would suggest you get your hands on some light crystal malt though to get a good malt profile, 3-400g should suffice. Ferment with a good American ale yeast like US-05 or Wyeast 1272, I prefer the later
Thanks guys - so this is what I ended up doing. I put the 10g Centennial into Ian's spreadsheet and the bitterness seemed very low, so I decided to use all the rest of my pellets...27g worth, but then chickened out and only did 45 minutes. This is bad, right?

US05
CaraPils 0.25 kg
Centennial 27 g 45 Mins
Cascade 10 g 20 Mins
Cascade 20 g 10 Mins
Nelson Sauvin 20 g 10 Mins
Nelson Sauvin 20 g 5 Mins
Cascade 20 g To be DRY HOPPED

What does the spreadsheet say about ibu for the hop schedule you used? Assuming bitterness is still high enough for tge style, 40min bittering can give a more smooth, yet stronger hop flavour which could work well.

What does the spreadsheet say about ibu for the hop schedule you used? Assuming bitterness is still high enough for tge style, 40min bittering can give a more smooth, yet stronger hop flavour which could work well.

It gives an IBU of 36.2

No need to boil for the full 60 mins using extract if you don't want to. I would always boil for 30+ though when there's any sort of grain involved.

And what was the measured original gravity? I would personally be more than happy with 36IBU for an APA under or around 1.050 OG.

It's still in the sink cooling before I top up to the fermenter and pitch the yeast, so no OG yet, but the projected OG is 1.049 and FG is 1.014.

It's still in the sink cooling before I top up to the fermenter and pitch the yeast, so no OG yet, but the projected OG is 1.049 and FG is 1.014.

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty nice drop. Now to quote my grandpas first brewing book "have a home brew and relax".

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty nice drop. Now to quote my grandpas first brewing book "have a home brew and relax".

I pitched the yeast after getting home from the mighty Brumbies win last night, but I think it may have been too cold as it doesn't appear to have taken. :(

I pitched the yeast after getting home from the mighty Brumbies win last night, but I think it may have been too cold as it doesn't appear to have taken. :(

How cold do reckon it was? US05 will generally kick off within 24 hours at anything above 15c - which feels quite cold to our warm blooded touch. If pitched colder it will just take a bit longer to get going and may require you to swirl/rouse the yeast that settles out back into suspension.

I wouldnt be to concerned ATM, signs of activity can take 2 days sometimes. Depending on the yeast, how much was pitched and in what form it was

The ambient temp was lower than 10C but not sure of wort temp. It's been pretty warm today, although it was sitting in an esky of water with a towel wrapped around it before I took it out.

Looks like we have action stations

:icon_cheers:

or an infection.... :unsure:

Back