Recipe help/ideas please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugcra

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of brewing a 23ltr batch this arvo. I wont have time to stop into the local brew shop, however I would like some of your generous ideas on what to brew given my inventory as listed below.

bohemian larger yeast (wyeast)
safale us-04

williment hops 60gish
mosaic hops 60g
mt hood 20g
amarillo 10g
magnum 20g
ek goldings 30g

pale ale grain 15kg
pale grain 20kg
vienna grain 20kg
munich 5kg

Any thoughts ? Thanks for your input.

Some Kind of English Bitter
Mash at 70C for 30-40 Minutes
75% Pale
25% Munich

10g magnum bittering
30g EKG @ 15-20 minutes
30g Williamette @ 15-20 minutes
S-04

Is this one of your favourite recipes or just a thought ? I've got some ideas as well, I thought some one might have a awesome recipe using these ingredients.

Dr Smurto's Engish IPA. Look that up.

Screenshot_2014-02-07-12-20-14.png

I wasn't at all impressed with s04 either tbh.

That's a nice yeast.
Are you no chill?

Sorry "all yeasts" are good. I used the 04 in a dark beer and I felt it did a good job. Bitter as hell tho.

Midnight Brew said:
Some Kind of English Bitter
Mash at 70C for 30-40 Minutes
75% Pale
25% Munich

10g magnum bittering
30g EKG @ 15-20 minutes
30g Williamette @ 15-20 minutes
S-04
+1
Although I would do 80% vienna 20% Munich.
Step mash at 55c for ten min
then 65-67c for 70min.
Finish off at 78 for another ten.

With those options;

100% Vienna

Magnum 20g @ 60mins
Amarillo 10g ea @ 20mins
Mosaic 30g @ 5min or 0mins/flameout
Mosaic 30g dry hop

US05 @ 18c

Specs

OG 1050
IBU 30-35 - depending on your AA%'s ( if you want that lower back of the magnum to 10-15g)
EBC 20

hugcra said:
Is this one of your favourite recipes or just a thought ? I've got some ideas as well, I thought some one might have a awesome recipe using these ingredients.
I dont use a lot of spec malts just small amounts mostly depending on what Im brewing but I find with JW malts (my base) they need a bit of beefing up. SO pale or pilsner and I generally add 20-30% Munich. With no crystal a 50/50 pale munich would be awesome with magnum as bittering then flavour with how you like (with say 50-75% of ibu coming from flavouring).

Not a huge fan of s04 but it does the job when you want dark or malt driven. Then again that statement was based on a few years ago when I brewed extracts and probably didnt treat it right.

100% Vienna would also pair up really well with mosaic.

If you no chill and have a few cubes something really simple and identical could be a good way to test out your hops. Out of curiosity, what brand malts do you have?

Latest posts

Back