Recipe Help For Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
1 x Macs Pale Kit
25g Cystal 30
25g Cystal 90
50g Pale Chocolate
50g Chocolate

16g NZ Cascade at FO

Just looking to take out the "Pale kit" and make this recipe with Light Extract but not too sure as to what other grains I will need to make up what will be missing from the kit...
Any sort of help would be appreciated.

I suppose I should say this is a 10.5 ltr recipe too. I will be upping it to around 18 ltrs I think.

Cheers

Chris :icon_chickcheers:

Have you got some more info on the kit and the beer you want to make? What size batch?

If it's an ESB style kit, it may be OK (3 kg) or if you are making a small batch it may be OK. First glance, it looks a little light on on everything but the choc.

Need more info.

Have you got some more info on the kit and the beer you want to make? What size batch?

If it's an ESB style kit, it may be OK (3 kg) or if you are making a small batch it may be OK. First glance, it looks a little light on on everything but the choc.

Need more info.

Sorry I edited late...

Im taking out a Pale Ale kit and using Light Extract.

I think it's a brown ale type recipe and Im sure it later turned into a porter.

If you're taking out a prebittered kit and replacing with extract, you will need some bittering hops (at the moment you only have aroma hops).

To work out amount of bittering hops, you will need to know the IBU of the kit in your final volume and the alpha acid content of your NS hops (or neutral bittering hop of choice)

To work out amount of malt extract, you will need to know what gravity the kit provides to your intended final volume and work from there. Gravity of your boil will affect the utilisation (and subsequent IBU/bitterness) of your beer.

What's the specs on the original recipe? Have you made it before?

Back