Recipe help - Double Red1w

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickxb

Reaction score
Hi guys

Looking for some help designing a recipe for BJCP 2015 – 22B American Strong Ale. The guidelines note that the beer is to be more balanced than a double IPA but not as strong as a barleywine. It also notes that the style includes Imperial amber/Red ales so I have tried to design a recipe on that basis. Looking for a high hop taste and aroma (floral, Resin, Pine) with strong supporting malt backbone with caramel/toffee/bready and raisins with a deep red colour.

I have had an initial go based on some other recipes for double red ales I have found. I would really appreciate your feedback.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Efficiency: 75%
Original Gravity: 1.079
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 82
ABV: 7.8%
Mash Temp: 67
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 34. EBC

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @ 18, free rise to 21, 4 day Dry hop
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

GRAIN BILL:

47% 2 Row (3.5kg)
47% Red X (3.5kg)
3% Crystal Dark (0.2kg)
3% CaraRed (0.2kg)
1% Special B (0.1kg)

60 minute mash @ 67

HOPS:

30g Chinook (60)
30g Centennial (60)
20g Cascade (20)
30g Centennial (10)
20g Chinook (10)
15g Cascade (5)
60g Centennial (0)
60g Chinook (0)

90g Chinook (Dry Hop)
90g Cascade (Dry Hop)

Thanks

Nick

Hey Nick,

That looks pretty good, solid malt bill and a great hop schedule. I haven't made the style but looks like its on the right track.

One thing I noticed is the fermentation schedule, possibly the software cut and paste. 21 day fermentation, if it takes that long your yeast has not been enough or handled correctly. Pitching the correct viable amount should see ferment completed after 4-5days for that gravity.

Pratty1 said:
Hey Nick,

That looks pretty good, solid malt bill and a great hop schedule. I haven't made the style but looks like its on the right track.

One thing I noticed is the fermentation schedule, possibly the software cut and paste. 21 day fermentation, if it takes that long your yeast has not been enough or handled correctly. Pitching the correct viable amount should see ferment completed after 4-5days for that gravity.
Thanks for the response. It is really primary for 21 days rather than fermentation. Hopefully it will turn out well.

Back