Recipe guidance, tips to improve...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourlambs

Reaction score
Hello all, seeking feedback on the below recipe, particularly hop times and quantities, aiming for a Pacific Pale Ale styLe

3CA108CD-6D92-47DA-8AD1-5815507F619B.jpeg

Attachments

• B005D5D8-FD59-4268-B38B-B6B73ED64A92.jpeg
    B005D5D8-FD59-4268-B38B-B6B73ED64A92.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 19
Rice hulls for all the wheat malt.

I wouldn't suggest using Galaxy past anything more than 10 to 15 at the most. It goes very astringent and not enjoyable. To get a clean bittering addition use Magnum, and save the galaxy for the late or dry hops.

Just looking at hops, the IBUs are much lower than that - if you're after a Pacific Ale that's like commercial versions. You've got a total of 70+ IBU.
Four Pines is under 20 and Stone and Wood is around 20 (happy to be corrected though). I aim for 20 in mine and it turns out well. All Galaxy at flameout.

Thanks Naboo, I definitely DO NOT seek a commercial style beer , Stone & Wood Pacific Ale when it first came out was amazing, so that’s the style , heavy on the passionfruit/ citrusy profile, bitter balance.

I like the idea of Magnum, never tried those.

Rice hulls for all the wheat malt.

I wouldn't suggest using Galaxy past anything more than 10 to 15 at the most. It goes very astringent and not enjoyable. To get a clean bittering addition use Magnum, and save the galaxy for the late or dry hops.
Same quantities and timings for Magnum?

Same quantities and timings for Magnum?
Hey mate. A single magnum at 60 minutes, targeting the IBU you are after. It gives. Nice clean bitterness and I basically use it in all my beers for bittering.

Depends on the alpha acid content, when you buy them just plug the strength into beer smith, and play around till you hit the IBU you want.

70 IBU will be quite high if you're looking to get towards a stone and wood. Maybe aim lower, and then for the galaxy try:

10m
Flame out
Whirlpool

And then dry hop! Be cautious, I did a monster galaxy and got a fair bit of hop burn so try not to over do it but that was around 150g dry hop lol

Just looking at hops, the IBUs are much lower than that - if you're after a Pacific Ale that's like commercial versions. You've got a total of 70+ IBU.
Four Pines is under 20 and Stone and Wood is around 20 (happy to be corrected though). I aim for 20 in mine and it turns out well. All Galaxy at flameout.
Yeah 100% with you on the above. Quickly looked a few recipes up, the average seems to be
10IBU at 60m
5g at 15m
10g at 5m
25g whirlpool
40g dry hop (single dry hop)

So aim for 10IBU of magnum at the 60m mark, probably around 8g.

Total IBU around the 20s, otherwise its heading into IPA world which is fine but it won't be as subtle and balanced as the pacific ale.

Thanks for all your feedback, new recipe below, have I interpreted your views correctly ??

Am I good to brooo ?

Ale.jpg

Hey mate. Just drop the 5g magnum at 15, use it only as a 60m hop, maybe bump the 8g to 9 instead and brooooo on!

Second Kadmium's post about not bittering with Galaxy. I'd probably switch the base malt and LME, go with Golden Promise or maybe pilsner and Wheat LME. The Briess wheat LME and DME are excellent products, though the present FOREX rates are not helpful.

Ok, this baby is now in the fermenter and smells good.
Starting to think about the dry hop, and if the 25g galaxy plus 50g ella will be too much..? (Pellets).

Over to the experts....😀

Back