Recipe Grain Bills In % In Beersmith 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
I enjoy historic beers but often they are only in grain bills of %. For those that are not familiar with Beersmith 2 there is a very simply way to enter the percentages into a recipe and with a couple of mouse clicks have a ready to roll recipe.

Eg. If you look at this chart of grain bills for 1915 Porters etc you can enter the percentages and scale the values to reflect your equipment profile.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6Y5jvFLq41k/Tgnn..._beers_1915.JPG

[1] Add a new recipe
[2] Make certain you are set up with your standard equipment profile you always use.
[3] Enter the malt/sugar % values as Kgs -- 10% enter as 10 kgs -- .5% as .5 kgs
For the time being ignore the gravity and the colour.

Select the [Adjust Gravity Icon] on the top row or click the Estimated gravity slider.
Change the highlighted gravity which will be very high to the actual value of the beer.

Click ok and return to your recipe.

Due to rounding there may be slight % differences but that will not cause you a problem.

Now you have a malt bill for your equipment in actual kgs and based on the gravity you want.

With historic beers the hopping rates can present a challenge based on the relationship of measuring types used.

Possibly someone here has an easy to use conversion of pounds to quarters or whatever manner the hops were used.

Steve

There is a grain percentage button have u tried that?

There is 28 pounds to a quarter.
That's a lot of hops.

There is a grain percentage button have u tried that?

Not to be too obvious -- yes. Have you?
What I'm describing is similar but allows you to approach the task from the other end.

The grain % button allows you to alter % of grain "when" the recipe already has a grain bill. You will note that with an empty recipe the % grain tool asks for grain to work with.

It is interesting to note on some of the older recipes the hop levels do seem high.

Not to be too obvious -- yes. Have you?
What I'm describing is similar but allows you to approach the task from the other end.

The grain % button allows you to alter % of grain "when" the recipe already has a grain bill. You will note that with an empty recipe the % grain tool asks for grain to work with.

It is interesting to note on some of the older recipes the hop levels do seem high.

The way i use it is just drop in whatever grain you want, with whatever the default weight is ie .45kg, then adjust the percentages by way of the percentage button.

So we don't need to learn grade 5 maths? :eek:

If you want a total grain bill of 5kg, and the recipe calls for 7.3% of a certain malt then multiply 5000 by 0.073 = 365g

Pity beersmith doesn't just brew the beer for you...

The way i use it is just drop in whatever grain you want, with whatever the default weight is ie .45kg, then adjust the percentages by way of the percentage button.

Just shows how versatile Brad has made the program.

I use the function the same way as argon. Sorry chiller should have been a little clearer with my post.

So we don't need to learn grade 5 maths? :eek:

If you want a total grain bill of 5kg, and the recipe calls for 7.3% of a certain malt then multiply 5000 by 0.073 = 365g

Pity beersmith doesn't just brew the beer for you...

Careful with thinking like that. It'll cause 6 threads where half the people espouse the greatness of maths, with fine intricacies of modern life, social interaction and wonderment of how we ever lived without maths, and the other half saying "Maths, we don't need no stinkin' maths".

I use the function the same way as argon. Sorry chiller should have been a little clearer with my post.

And my apology for being "short" in my reply. I'm not saying either or, just offering a versatile alternative.

Latest posts

Back