Recipe For Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a six pack of Coopers Pale Ale and am thinking of reculturing the yeast from it as a lot of people reckon it is ok
The reason for this is just to do something different and try it out.It is not a big money saving event but I get the yeast for free and drink the stubbies.Evens out pretty well.
What I need is a recipe to use this in.
I was thinking of using BB ale as a base and I have some Carared ,Caramunich and munich 1 and plenty of Amarillo and some Centennial.
The less ingredients the better,maybe a smash,as I don't have the base grain yet.
I was thinking even along the lines of neil's centrillo ale maybe.
I BIAB and have a fermenting frige.
Thanks for any suggestions,
wombil.

It might seem less exciting but I'd be making a cooper style beer with PoR and/or cluster. In my several years as an AG brewer I have only ever brewed someone else's recipe twice (recipe development is one of the things I love about brewing). One of those was the better red than dead, the other is AndrewQLD's coopers tribute. I have also tweaked the same recipe and added some cluster. Both were great to my palate and non-brewing buddies who love coopers.

Alternatively try an Aussie APA style with galaxy (I dislike galaxy but might be interesting).

I have a recipe for a hopbursted apa which we brewed for a vic case swap. Husky fermented his out with coopers yeast which, while it wouldn't be my choice, he reckoned was super.

It's in the recipe db somewhere - just add the coopers.

Thanks fellers,
The idea is not to copy a coopers ale but to make up the yeast from coopers dregs just to try doing it.
Just for the fun of doing something different.I usually use US-05 and have no complaints with it.For the price it's not worth trying to muck around with washing etc when a new satchel is so easy and guaranteed to work.This is only to do something different,probably only do it once.

This is really tasty.

Amarillo & Cascade AAA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 15.2 (EBC): 29.9
Bitterness (IBU): 34.5 (Average)

86.63% Pale Ale Malt
9.9% Caramunich III
2.48% Melanoidin
0.99% Roasted Barley

2.6 g/L Amarillo (9.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L Cascade (5.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with WLP009 - Australian Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

EDIT: couple of things if you are going to brew it - it's got to be fermented at least at 20C for the fruitbowl esters, and the roast barley is essential for the subtle roasty character. If you're using CPA yeast, embrace the fruit!

Thankyou manticle and nick jd,
Probably give both of these a go,don't know which one first.Nicks is a bit simpler but I am also starting to like a bit of wheat in my beer.
Cheers
wombil.

Nick- forgive my ignorance... AAA = Australian or American amber ale?

If thats the case, then that is recipe I've been looking for! Just yesterday I was chatting with a couple of mates about what to brew next- and an amber ale using coopers yeast came up.

Even better- I brew in my cellar (until I wire up my STC1000 and clean out the garage fridge) and the digital temp gauge in there currently reads 20.1 degrees. Sweet!

Nick- forgive my ignorance... AAA = Australian or American amber ale?

American, even though it uses Aussie yeast. In AAAs esters aren't frowned upon (most of the versions of it I've tried have been quite estery), so CPA yeast is great for it. I love me some esters as they compliment the fruity hops so well.

That recipe is within the style for AAA - but if you ferment much above 20C, it'd be noted for too much pear and banana I reckon.

US05 is a very dull yeast!

Hey Guys,
Back to the yeast part again.
Drank 2 stubbies of coopers pale ale and put the dregs into a litre of wort (100 g dry malt/ 1 litre water).
I don't have a stir plate but after two and a half days it is starting to work a little,no krausen yet.
Trouble is I have to go away for 2 maybe 3 days and leave it.
Question is,"Should I put it in the frige or just let it stand at room temperature,probably 20/22 deg.C,may get a bit more but not much"?
cheers,
wombil.

Hey Guys,
Back to the yeast part again.
Drank 2 stubbies of coopers pale ale and put the dregs into a litre of wort (100 g dry malt/ 1 litre water).
I don't have a stir plate but after two and a half days it is starting to work a little,no krausen yet.
Trouble is I have to go away for 2 maybe 3 days and leave it.
Question is,"Should I put it in the frige or just let it stand at room temperature,probably 20/22 deg.C,may get a bit more but not much"?
cheers,
wombil.

If yeast has finished multiplying (krausen is Showing)
You can put it the fridge (CC)
No worries For a week or 2
Just reculture before using

Back