Recipe for cider in 5L demijohn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apoole

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm newish to home brew and a total noob to ciders. I've read a few threads on here about beginner cider brewing in 4/5L glass demijohns and it just so happens I can get my hands on one very easily.

Can anyone suggest a basic noob proof cider recipe for a 5L demijohn? I don't mind if its sweet, dry or whatever - all suggestions welcome.

Adam

Juice + yeast + time = cider!

ps - people have had good results with S04 and preseverative free juice.

My personal opinion, it's hardly worth it....cider takes so long to come good, as in 6 months'ish. By the time you can tell if you like your recipe or not, it'll be all gone, and your next batch is 6 months away!

BUT..if you really want to, please search away, tons of info and recipes on cider around AHB.

carniebrew said:
My personal opinion, it's hardly worth it....cider takes so long to come good, as in 6 months'ish. By the time you can tell if you like your recipe or not, it'll be all gone, and your next batch is 6 months away!

BUT..if you really want to, please search away, tons of info and recipes on cider around AHB.

that's interesting, the cider I fermented from Christmas eve to 11h Jan, then 3 days cold cold chill is quite nice now, the only issue I have at the moment is it's under carbed.

The cider was Aldi juice, CB cider yeast.

The first Cider I did, used US-05 and DME took about 6 months till I thought it was OK but would not do again.

If its just a Demi worth, give a whirl to buying 4L of cloudy juice from the fresh section, ferment with ec-1118 (white wine/champagne. Whatever) yeast. It makes a tasty cider and is very drinkable at all stages of aging.

Thanks all. Really just experimenting at this stage. I have a basic coopers home brew kit and some other odds & ends so will see what I can put together once I have more experience. Keen to get away from the mass produced ciders into something more traditional

Back