Quantcast

Recipe Database - Beta 1.0 Live!

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dane

Reaction score
OK Guys I have some great news to kick the long weekend off with. The AHB Recipe Database (Beta 1.0) has just been added.

Thanks to forum meber JasonY we have worked for the past week trying to get a customised version online for our members.

There is still a lot of work to do but we want to get you guys to put it through it's paces & bug test is as much as possible.

As some of you know this is a customised version of CybeBRAU a brewing script that was mad a couple of years ago. JasonY converted the script over to metric and then proceeded to add the auto cookie logon.

The Database can be used to share recipes with other members, as a tool to track you own batches, to comment, review or to add advice to other people batches.

It calculates a whole sort of useful information that is all kept online so you will always be able to access it.

Basically this is where we are at:

We need you guys to test it for first and foremost; BUGS! We need you to also have a look at how it work and what other features you would like to see added (or changed).

Please use this thread to post any ingredients that you want added to the DB. Certain DB admins will be assigned further down the track who can add ingredients but for the moment please add them in this thread.

As for feature suggestions & things we are working on:

ATM Yeast has to be entered as F rather than C (although it display as C)
Ability to add a file to the recipe - ie. a ProMash file of the batch.
When a recipe is created a topic is created in a dedicated 'Recipe DB' forum where people can discuss the brew further. Both the promash file and the forum link will be displayed on each recipe.

The only other thing I ask is that you enter all the information correctly so over time we have a really good, reliable and accurate Recipe DB. It would be great to see in a couple of months time that lots of AHB users are using the DB to store their batches online and using the website as a tool for their brewing.

Also it will work really well if you aren't sure what to brew next - just jump in and see what the recipe of the day is or see what has been getting rave review :)

Ok well enough from me click here or click on RECIPES in the top navigation bar.

Looking forward to the comments and working on this to get it better.

Enjoy!

dane

Reaction score
update....the layout obviosuly need some work. Some text wrapping onto the next line etc. Layout will be worked on constantly - just trying to get the overall functionality of it working well.

Also for your ProMash users - pleae test/check results between the two apps. Atm I don't think ARM is being calculated correctly - please report any other discrepencies.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
The hop times did not come up in order.
But looks great otherwise.

jayse

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
get rid of the american grain base. do we have this in aust i dont think so.
also went to put my napaki pale ale recipe in(jayse &bonks help) and there is no jw traditional pale malt listed.makes it hard.this is my base malt.i gave up when i couldnt find this listed.

addendum.. napaki= yolngu for whitefella.local aboriganal dialect.was recently balanda but appears they can change there language to suit the times.mmmm interesting hey.no racism up here hey yupa wawa.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
I noticed this Bigd i just put IMC ale malt.
I'll update that when JW trad is added.
I did't think it would allow as many hop additions as it did.
but no worries fits all of those in that beer.
an the numbers all look good ie. o.g 1.071 98 IBU.

jayse

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
sorry fiscus forgot...looks shit hot reckon it will be huge.
im impressed already other than my minor gripe ;)
good work guys

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Is it set a 80% effiency? can we change this?

jayse

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Ok have added Joe White trad ale malt (don't know how that one slipped through). Also killed Yank malts :)

Will look at ordering hop additions by boil time and grains by amount.

If there are any other ingredients to add let fiscus or myself know. Need the name, color (lovibond), and extract (ppg).

I am adding wyeasts still, then White labs.

As a side note efficiency is fixed at 75%, may look at letting ppl add the efficiency and scaling of recipes based on better or worse efficiencies

JasonY

Reaction score
Also once you have entered a recipe you can create a batch. The batch is kinda like a promash session and you can enter the particulars for that shot at the brew. Once it is complete you can then review the brew to let others know how it tasted etc.

This is relevant for say Jayse's skunk fart ale which has been brewed by many a brewer including mysef. If the recipe was in the data base I could create a batch of SFA and then review it... nice feature

JasonY

Reaction score
Jayse, Amarillo are on the hop list? ANy others that need adding let me know.

EDIT: woops have added simcoe

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Iam shagged out for the nite and have to go to work in 60 mins. so i'll add the SFPA recipe tommorow.

Its looking good so far.
jayse

bonk

Reaction score
the ol sfpa recipe huh?. i hear this is one ripper of a brew. can't wait to see it, brew it, taste it and enjoy it. but how the heck do you get a skunk to fart??? :huh:

;)

bonk

Reaction score
oh, i like the resize function, sure makes it easier for me to scale the brews back to my 'huge' brewery size :p

looks like a good db for the recipes, thanks for all the hard work guys !!

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Great job guy's. My only suggestion is that we need to be able to select leaf or pellet hops and change the aau rating as required.Looks great to me.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Awesome.
What a great start.

Just tried adding My Obnoxious Wanker Aussie Strong Ale into the database.
Alas there are now Pride of Ringworm hops in the hops database table. Also missing are hops such as Nelson Sauvin, Vienna Gold, and a couple of other NZ hops.

Like you mention having DB admins able to add ingredients to the tables, I think it maybe necessary to seperate hops from their A/A ratings. That way all hops could be entered into the hops table and when you enter a recipe you simply specify the A/A rating you used. Otherwise the hops table won't be maintainable.

The yeast database seems to be missing the White Labs platimum series yeasts such as WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager .... as well as the DCL Saflager/Safale strains as well.

Good to see the powered frogs bladders is in the misc list :D

Like on your todo list the ability to attach a Promash/Beersmith recipe file would be awesome. That way when you see a recipe you like you can download the file and simply tailor it to your personal brewing setup.

All these things are minor and I applaude the awesome effort to getting it integrated into the AHB forum.

I raise my glass to you all.

Beers,
Doc

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
I agree this makes a wicked recipe data base as is and can only get better.
It looks great well done.
The JWM wheat malt is not there its is called maltcraft wheat on the maltcraft site.
Also worth noting if your using any of the older batches of JWM trad the colour is 5-6 not 7 as the newer batches are.

Jayse

JSB

Reaction score
Jayse,
I cranked your SFPA into Promash.....your IBU calc out to 43.3.....The recipe database is saying 31.........???Just a query on the DB calc.

JSB

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Yes it should be at least 35 ibu but iam not sure if thats the software or my recipe written wrong i'll double chect it later..
Iam too shagged out at the moment to go over that iam in zombie land at the moment maybe a couple beers and i'll get back to you. But i do go for around 40 ibu for the SFPA.
This is what we really need to go over and get these little things lined up so it matches up with other software.
For my yakima chief recipe this software and promash are slighty different with the OG for 75% effiency by a couple of points but i put that down to not knowing for sure if the potential for the grains where the same as the promash import but i pressume they are.
which means......mmmm i don't have a clue.

Jayse

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Ok the software here is the same as promash for the IBU or within a point.
Did you use 5%A.A in promash for cascade when you checked them side by side.

Anyway i'll will edit that recipe to 56 g cascade at the start because i do like it at 40 odd ibu especially the ale malt versions.

The software is almost the same as promash.
The effeincy this software is giving me as 75% promash is given me the same og at 78% effiency.

Jayse

Jazman

Fishweide BrauHaus
Reaction score
jsb with promash i have found you need to change the hopping defaults and what i use is tinseth and i then i have 0% increase for plugs and then 10% increase for the Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Latest posts