Recipe Check - NS Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
Munich and Vienna aren't spec malts - just dark base malts. The other one that's a bit different is melanoidin.
Yep, but most sites (including BYO) list then as 'spec' malts, presumably because they generally don't form the principle part of the grist. A bit like me using rye as a spec - it isn't a spec malt, but I use it as one. I think that's where the confusion lies - malts that are base malts, listed/referred to as spec malts. It becomes a semantic issue.

Saison - I never got to brew one, before I left Brissie. Even in the hot water system room, it's still not hot enough to brew one. But yeah, I've got a ton of free JW Pils (well 20 odd kg of it), and I'm trying to figure out what I can brew that isn't the norm. Cream beers using Mosaic, British beers with Kohatu, I'm not that creative, though I do make some interesting ones (Rauchroggenweiss anyone?).

On topic - hopefully that answers the question.

Understand much more now. Thanks fellas.

I am wondering about a Special Roast and Victory I got (Briess) which say they can be steeped like spec malts, but beersmith is telling me must mash? I'm assuming these have been mashed to make sugars readily available. I'm gonna give them a go soon as a spec malt. Made the mistake recently of trying to mini mash Brown Malt as a spec addition - that's where I started reading about diastatic enzymes etc.. Starting to grasp it more after this discussion.

I was doing little mini mashes up to 1kg, but its too fiddly. Gonna stick to spec grains till I'm ready for partials or BIAB.

Out of interest, you guys used carawheat before? Curious what it's like. Guess I'll find out in about 6 weeks.

TBH, don't bother with partials, go straight to BIAB. Same level of equipment (assuming you start small with AG, like most here do), same level of stuffing around (mashing 1kg is the same amount of time and energy as mashing 5kg), same level of knowledge (soak grains at 64 degrees to get conversion to happen), half the price, more flexibility.

I've used red wheat, which is a great spec malt.

Victory - steep,

Special Roast - steep.

According to craftbrewer website.

Yeah, that's where I bought it. Red wheat sounds interesting. My recent purchase has carared, carawheat, victory and Sepcial roast. I'm getting impatient to try it all. Patience is the hardest brewing lesson.

Heard and received on the BIAB - everyone is telling me that. I've got a 40L esky (cant drill it or put a tap in though), a 19L Big W pot, so I guess all i need is a bag? Might make that bucket lauter tun I saw in a recent thread. Looks straight forward. Still hesitating a bit, think i could do with a couple more extracts under the belt. Price is a big motivation though, I feel the pinch buying 3-4 kg of extract every couple of weeks, knowing the price of grain.

Soon.

All right, I've bought a grain bag and some wheat malt. Thinking on the things we've discussed how would this partial look to you guys?

23L batch:

1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 37.5 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 50.0 %
0.50 kg Caramel Wheat Malt (90.6 EBC) Grain 12.5 %
15.00 gm Waimea [15.80%] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
15.00 gm Waimea [15.80%] (15 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1.32 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs DCL Yeast US-05 Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 34.1 IBU
Est Color: 18.1 EBC

Just a heads up, you'll have to mash the wheat malt if you were not already aware.

Also, if I was using 50% wheat, I'd be looking at reducing the IBU's and having more of an american wheat. I normally go around 20-25IBU's for my US wheats.

All depends upon what you're after though.

10.4 on the mash. Got myself stovetop BIAB ready. Wheat was mainly a choice of convenience - LHBS only had wheat grain in stock. I wasn't thinking style too much, but i'll take your suggestion into account.

Ahh nice, nice. Sorry, just wasn't sure what level of brewing you were at but it sounds like you've diving into the wonderful world of mashing.

Either way, I'd probably reduce the IBU's somewhat since the wheat won't have the malty backbone that other barley base malts provide. Should give you a nice brew none the less, and good luck with it! Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

maybe i can kick the 15min Waimea add, get down to 24 IBUs to be more style appropriate.
Still lets me check out what nelson can do, and what waimea might be like as a bittering hop.

Cheers, sponge.

tiprya said:
This is a common misconception. The 'Cara' prefix is just Weyermann's naming scheme. They are all just crystal malts.
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/02/caramunich-isnt-caramelize-munich-and-9.html
No way! I thought caraaroma was made from Weyermann's Aroma malt.

So munich and vienna don't start from green malt?

Is Carabohemian not made from Bohemian malt? Or is that the only one that follows the misquoted rule?

Caramunich� Type 2 - origin of the word Question We need to know origin of the word, Caramunich and something information of use to advertise about CARAMUNICH. Answer Caramunich� is a trademark of Weyermann Specialty Malting Company. Please do not forget using the � for Registered trademark whenever using the name Caramunich�. The prefix �CARA� represents �Caramelized� and makes clear that all Weyermann Caramel Malts are produced in the Weyermann Roasting- and Caramelization Drums. By using this unique and patented technology Weyermann Caramel Malts show a perfect caramelisation and fine caramel flavour and aroma. �munich� represents dark malts (Munich Beer type). Please have a look at the product specification and production description of the Weyermann caramel malt production at our website

Caramelmalts Question I am trying to educate myself on the differences between your different cara malts. Based on the color ratings, it s easy to tell which malts will produce more color. Does the grain name following cara signify the grain that been crystalized? If so, it would make sense that Caramunich is a crystalized version of Munich....however what would the grain be for Carahell or Cara-amber? Beyond color, what are the variances in the caramalts (degree of body, foam, sweetness, caramel level, etc). Answer You are right. �Cara� means that these products are caramel or roasted malts (Carafa� & Carafa� special) produced in roasting drums. Caramel malts are produced from green malt (directly after germination) in special designed roasting drums. In a saccharification step (70�C) the starch is converted into sugar. Then with higher temperatures these sugar is caramelized. For Carafa� roasted malt, special produced kilned malt is roasted in roasting drums (temperatures > 250�C).

Off topic - but has anyone done a "roasting mash" at 70C and them steeped the whole grist instead of mashing?

Caramunich and carapils both start from the same (green) malt and caramelised to different degrees.

'munich' or 'pils' malt isn't created and then caramelised.

I used to think that things like CaraVienna were 'special' in that you'd get the unique flavours of Vienna base as a caramel grain. In reality, you're likely to get a caramel grain of similar colour to Vienna base.

Back