Recipe (brewing) Etiquette)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
This is something i've been puzzling over.

If you have some one else recipe, can you

1) Submit it to a database (giving all dues)
2) Use that recipe when entering a competition

For example i have a u'beaut' Scottish Ale Recipe of TDA's :D

Can i use this? Can i share it? It really is very good.

I just dont want any axe wealding homebrewers chasing me around :ph34r:

Wedge, speaking personally I feel that if I can come up with a brew that I feel is good then I am more than happy to share it with anyone who is interested.
It's more than the recipe as some brewers have different methods for brewing and getting the end result.
And if you want to enter it into a comp I will expect a commission. B)
Thanks for the compliment on the Scottish Ale :)

C&B
TDA

Good Day
If I give a recipe to one or all I certainly expect them to pass it on and/or enter the beer in a comp or do anything they wanted to do with it if the are happy with it.
I am hard push to get the exact same results from the same recipe. Anyway most home brewers, by their very nature. will make their own changes to the recipe/process due to brewing equipment, availability of ingredients, climatic conditions, creative inspiration, etc.
So go ahead this a hobby that should be based on fun and sharing.
All the best, Barry.

When i give my recipes out - i have had some published - my only conditions are:

1. You provide feedback to me.
2. You provide recognition.
3. Most important is that if i am ever down your way i get a free tasting, beer or two... :rolleyes:

I have posted a few here on this site - most notably my ginger beer.

If you want the opinion of a pissed newt:

if you brew the beer, it is your beer, enter it in all comps going
If you are given the recipe and toild to do with it what you want, put it in a reciipe DB, remembering to give credit/link to the source

JM

i guess it all comes done to giving recognition?

By the way what are the conditions for entering a recipe into the DB. I remembered we talked about it..........

conditions? what conditions?

wedge i reckon if the recipe hasnt been posted the way you like to brew it then post it.example look at any usa site for ipa,s and there is hundreds of variations.

its always good to post thanks to a particular person if you are copying there recipe but be aware that it will be virtually impossible to copy it again as mentioned by barry due to brewing set up,grain amounts and mostly water used.
ive been copying/cloning a few usa brews lately but do i give them thanks.should do but i havent posted these recipes yet and also its very hard to know if im in the ball park as we cant get these beers in australia.eg rogues brutal bitter,stones arrogant ******* clone.to see if we are even close.

but out of respect thank the person,let all know how it turned out and give any improvements you think may make it better.as bazza said its a fun hobby aand lets all share our learning.

B) big d

Back