Recipe Advise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just going to do a batch and since just getting back into it all, I thought id double check my recipe with you all.
Any feedback will be well appreciated.
  • Coopers Canadian Blonde
  • Yeast that came with kit
  • Light Dry Malt Extract: 1kg
  • Dextrose: 250g
  • Light Crystal Grain: 250g (Steeped 10min, then boiled with hop addition and a little malt)
  • Galaxy: 10g (boiled 10 min)
  • Cascade: 15g (boiled 10 min)
  • Galaxy: 15g (dry hopped 4 at end of ferm)
  • Cascade: 20g (dry hopped 4 at end of ferm)
  • 23 litres @ 18 degrees
I have about 30g Amarillo and 25g POR and about 5g Cascade left over on hand as well as 250g light crystal and plenty of dextrose. Thank you all

I will be the first of many +1 's

Kit yeast - poorly handled, not enough, no idea what variety.

US 05 or Notto.

Goomba

OK Cheers I'll go out and get a US 05. I have used it before and yes I should know better.

Just thought I'd get away with the kit yeast this time :)

Hows the rest looking?

The kit yeast is OK if used under 18.. Fires quick and finishes fast.. But a better yeast would be good.

I don't like your hop choose but thats just me.

But all in all OK I would say.

Cheers.

The kit yeast is OK if used under 18.. Fires quick and finishes fast.. But a better yeast would be good.

I don't like your hop choose but thats just me.

But all in all OK I would say.

Cheers.

Ive never used galaxy before, but I have used Cascade a lot and do enjoy it. Whats the galaxy like? Would I be better off using Amarillo?
Any suggestions are good :)

Amarillo and cascade always work well together, but then again, cascade and most fruity hops (such as galaxy) will be delicious.

I'd be tempted to use the other 5g of cascade at either the 10min addition or dry hopping. not much point just having 5g laying around.

Sponge

Apart from yeast I would say steep at 65C for 30 mins or if you are super lazy can leave overnight in cold water.

Like your hop bill should make a fine fruity ale.

Apart from yeast I would say steep at 65C for 30 mins or if you are super lazy can leave overnight in cold water.

Like your hop bill should make a fine fruity ale.

Is this the crystal your referring to? If so Ill do a 30 min steep at 65C, no prob :) Whats the best way to keep temp at 65C? Get it to 65C then wrap up in blanket? Or keep on stove on and off to reg temp?

Is this the crystal your referring to? If so Ill do a 30 min steep at 65C, no prob :) Whats the best way to keep temp at 65C? Get it to 65C then wrap up in blanket? Or keep on stove on and off to reg temp?

Yes I was referring to Crystal malts and temperature is not critical at all so no need to go to lots of trouble wrapping up.

Use 2/3rds boiling water to 1/3rd cold tap water and you will be in the ballpark, timing is not critical either you can leave it while you prepare other things in your brew.

Yes I was referring to Crystal malts and temperature is not critical at all so no need to go to lots of trouble wrapping up.

Use 2/3rds boiling water to 1/3rd cold tap water and you will be in the ballpark, timing is not critical either you can leave it while you prepare other things in your brew.

Great thank you. Ill then use the liquid for my hop boil with a little malt.
Thanks again

I did a few blondes with us05 and they were miles ahead of the coopers yeast ones. Us05 will compliment the crystal better too. I've hopped a Canadian blonde with all Amarillo before and it was pretty good. I agree with the Amarillo/cascade combo.

From personal experience, I'd go no higher than 20g of average AA% hops at 10 minutes. The blonde just lacks the depth to support the bitterness. The crystal may help, but even with a kilo of DME, it's easy to make this can too imbalanced and twangy with too much boiling of additional hops.

Depends on personal taste and what style you're after, really. If you want an APA, the Blonde can work as a base, but I'd be throwing in 250g wheat extract and maybe some amber to support the extra 10-15 IBU needed to be in style.

Having used Galaxy before it can be very overpowering[hoppy bitterness]as its 13%aa so I'd suggest halving your bill if you havent used it before ;)

Having used Galaxy before it can be very overpowering[hoppy bitterness]as its 13%aa so I'd suggest halving your bill if you havent used it before ;)
Galaxy: 5g (boiled 10 min)
Cascade: 15g (boiled 10 min)
Galaxy: 10g (dry hopped 4 at end of ferm)
Cascade: 20g (dry hopped 4 at end of ferm)

Does this sound better? Or should I just dry hop the Galaxy? And thx for all your help

There will be lots of differing opinions on this but I kind of like your original hop idea better for me ( I am a bit of a hophead love Punk IPA) I would have thought that 5g@10mins would give you bugger all but that's just me. Whatever way you go should make a tasty brew. Depends on how much you like a hop driven beer.

Whatever you do, don't boil the goo in with the DME and hops.

Because it drives of the hop flavour from the goop.

I'm not sure that qualifies as "whatever you do" kind of territory but it is something anyone thinking about boiling a tin of pre-hopped extract needs to be aware of. If you have more hops available then boiling much of the existing flavour off and adding your own may be desirable. But that is maybe something to do a bit further down the line.

Latest posts

Back