Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salt

Reaction score
Hey all,

Relatively new to Grain brewing and have always followed a recipe...

Just playing around with Brewmate and trying to come up with my own recipe based on what I have got.

Please let me know if this sounds ok or not...I am not 100% sure of which hops go well together, but the following is whats in my freezer.

Any advice welcome! Cheers

American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 88.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 8.3 (EBC): 16.4
Bitterness (IBU): 41.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.600 kg Maris Otter Malt (72%)
1.000 kg Munich I (20%)
0.250 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (5%)
0.150 kg Caramunich I (3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
8.0 g Pacific Jade Pellet (15.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
15.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
15.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
30.0 g B Saaz Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Hi
Probably drop the Saaz . As what you have in hops , they go together for a nice fruity flavoured beer . All in all it looks like a nice drop .Although the munich will make it darker , you will end up with an amber more so than a pale .

Cheers
Mike .

+ 1 for the Saaz

The Marris Otter will give you a great colour for a pale ale ... if you wanted a bit mre kick increase the Carapils to 1 kg which should bring in a bit (not a lot) of alc burn .. IMO ..

Thats my 2 cents worth ... I will admit to trying to get a bigger beer each time I brew .. Its my bad ...

Matt

if you wanted a bit mre kick increase the Carapils to 1 kg which should bring in a bit (not a lot) of alc burn .. IMO ..

How does this work? Carapils will contribute mouthfeel etc. I'd say 1kg would be way overdone. How would it give alc burn in excessive amounts?

I'd question whether you need carapils in there at all with the munich and caramunich.

B-saaz (moteuka) should work with that lot.

How does this work? Carapils will contribute mouthfeel etc. I'd say 1kg would be way overdone. How would it give alc burn in excessive amounts?

I'd question whether you need carapils in there at all with the munich and caramunich.

B-saaz (moteuka) should work with that lot.

All this advice is very sound, you could do a lot worse not following it.

I would drop the carapils entirely and up your base malt.

Youl get a nice biscuity / toasty maltyness, with a fruity hop combo to boot.

If it leans towards more of an amber ale I will be very pleased as I quite like the caramel/malty flavours...

I would have also thought 1kg of Carapils would be too much and shouldnt hit too much alc burn at 5.4%...but I welcome all your advice.
I popped the Carapils in there as I have seen it in a few other similarly styled brews. If its not needed I could drop it and up the MO.

As for the B-Saaz...yip that is indeed Motueka (not called that in BrewMate - should have specified), which given its profile, should go good with the other hops.

I really appreciate the advice and as noone has said...wtf are you doing...I think I may go ahead with this for my next brew!

Cheers guys!

mmmm b-saaz......

quickly becoming my favourite hop, and threatening to knock nelson sauvin off it's perch.

Back