Reciepe For A Noobie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
I am still getting things together for my first attempt at something other than opening a can and adding water and yeast.
Sniffing aroung this forum I have found Jayse's reciepe and am looking to do this on the weekend but I do have a few questions for you experienced brewers.

How difficult would you say the process described below is, remembering this will only be my third brew and the first two have been splash and dash kit jobbies.
I have sourced the ingredients from a local HBS and will be buying it whaterer the cost but could someone give me an indication of the approximate cost of the ingredients?

Also could someone define "Porter" I am guessing it is something like a dark english bitter? I may be way off the mark but i have never come across the term before. :ph34r:

Cheers.
jayse said:
i have a extract recipe.
it may be a little more complex than what your after johnno.it requires steeping grain and boiling wort with hops etc.so its a full extract recipe and requires a 10 litre boil for one hour so not really a kit extract recipe.you'll need a big pot.

i beleive that msb may actually use a lager yeast and from memory also use wheat anyway this extract recipe is based on the guidelines for porter.

for 20 litres (for 23litre or whatever just increase the dry malt.)
2 x 1.5 cans coopers unhopped malt extract.
250 g dry malt extract
450 g 80L crystal malt (or 350g 120L crystal such as cara aroma)
120 g black malt for a robust version or 230 g of choc malt for a standard brown.

50g kent goldings 60 minute boil

14-28g kent goldings added ten minutes before the end of the boil.

i guess you could get away with using safale or notingham dry yeast but i would use london ale 1028.

soak all grain in 3 litres of 66c water for 30 mins.strain out the grain and had another 5 litres of water then bring to the boil.
once boiling add all the extract and return to the boil then add the 50 g of goldings and boil for 50 minutes.then add the other 28g goldings and boil for another 10 mins.
remove from heat and place pot in a sink of cold water keep replacing the cold water untill the wort has cooled reasonably. then chuck it in the fermentor and top up to 20 litres.

sorry i know you properly haven't done such a time consuming brew johnno.
but don't be affraid to give it a crack it is really fairly simple."

ODDBALL said:
Also could someone define "Porter" I am guessing it is something like a dark english bitter? I may be way off the mark but i have never come across the term before. :ph34r:

Cheers.
[post="57179"][/post]​
ODDBALL,
I you go to any good bottleshop you can find some porter and give it a go.
I'm also suprised that if you are from pommyland you are not familiar with this beer. Been on the Carling have you? :)

cheers
johnno

johnno said:
ODDBALL said:

Cheers.
[post="57179"][/post]​
ODDBALL,
I'm also suprised that if you are from pommyland you are not familiar with this beer. Been on the Carling have you? :)

cheers
johnno
[post="57182"][/post]​
Carling...Yukk..I was more of an old speckled hen or summer lightning man, also liked a drop or two of directors and bass..infact any real beer.

:chug: :beer:

G'day Oddball,
Porters are a damn fine drop, IMHO. Here's another article from the Grain and Grape on Porters...Click here...

To me, if I use pale ale malt and toss in some Munich, Melanoidin and Carafa grains, then I'm making a porter. If I use pale ale malt and some roasted barley with bit of flaked barley, then it becomes a stout! ;)
I use bittering hops only (preferably Goldings) and Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast or S-04 if you prefer dry yeast is fine with either...

Cheers,
TL

johnno said:
ODDBALL said:

Cheers.
[post="57179"][/post]​
ODDBALL,

cheers
johnno
[post="57182"][/post]​
Despite what you might think, beers calling themselves Porter are pretty rare in the UK. Also, there is little or no distinction between what's labeled as porter and what's labeled as stout except maybe in the case of the handful of micros who produce both. Even then the distinction is sometimes one of strength (Stout being the stronger of the two), sometimes one of dryness or amount of roast. Afterall, Stout is just short for Stout Porter, so all stouts are porters if not the other way around.

Well, I'd rate adding a kit and kilo as about 2.5/10, because you do need to boil water, have some cold water stocked, and be conscious of sanitation.

I'd rate the steeping recipe as 6/10, same as above, but it will take longer, you need to do some things properly, and you need to cool it all down afterwards.

And, a triple-decoction oktoberfest would be a 10/10 difficulty beer.

Pricing...
2 x 1.5kg LME cans ~ $18
250g DME ~ $2, might have to buy 500g though which will be about $4
450g cara-aroma ~ $2-5 (some might not have this)
230g chocolate ~ $2-4
50g Goldings ~ $4
12g sachet Goldings (cut it open) ~ $3.50

Yeast ~ Wyeast will be $10-$20
Muntons Gold will be $3-4 (I would strongly recommend this yeast)
Nottingham I haven't seen, but would be similar price to Muntons Gold I imagine.

This will take you about 2-3 hours to do, but will be incredibly rewarding.

I should point out that you should crush these grains with a rolling pin, or get them crushed by the store. You probably knew that already though...

I sell Nottingham for $75/500g block or $6.50 for a23g sachet

Jovial Monk

He lives in Ipswich, the closest place to him is Wacol, the closest place that sells lots of yeasts is Browns Plains or Chapel Hill... don't think he'll be going to Adelaide, unless he really really wants Nottingham.

Thanks for the info on the Porter's guys, still never heard the term before even though I have been trying to jog my memory.

I am going to try the reciepe above this weekend and will get everything together on Friday afternoon, is there any special way to store the bits overnight or would it be better to wait until Saturday to get it?

BTW something else I am unclear on, when someone says to buy 2 cans of Coopers unhopped malt extract is that just the normal Coopers cans you can get at BigW or am I missing something?

I will probably venture 25 minutes up the road to Chappel hill as this shop comes with a good reputation, should I give them a call first to make sure they have everything or will they always carry stock?

I can almost taste the stuff already. :party:

Cheers.

Chapel Hill generalyl has everything, but best to ring ahead to make sure, they sometimes do run out.

And rather than the two 1.5kg cans of coopers malt, they sell bulk coopers malt in 1kg containers that works out cheaper.

Yes, they do Coopers bulk in 1kg cans, also Morgans Extra Pale LME in 1.5kg cans, which is Coopers anyway. The stuff you buy at Big W has hops in it, and you don't want that.

Back