Really Sweet Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Evening Brewers,
just kegged my first ever Ginger Beer.
I used a coopers kit with 1kg raw sugar and about 125grams of brown sugar.
Problem i have is that its pretty sweetly sick like artificial sweetner,it smells brilliant just wondering if theres any ideas how to knock that sweetner taste out of it now that its kegged.

Cheers
Franko

I don't know if it was perception, acclimatisation or acquired immunity - but time in the bottle was what did it for me. About 6 weeks IIRC - my last batch was about 12 months ago and I followed those ingredients almost exactly. Certainly by the time I cracked the last bottle I was enjoying them rather than drinking it just to finish it, as I was for the first few.

Cheers,

microbe

Franko, seeing as you keg your ginger beer, perhaps next time, brew as normal but without the artificial sweetner. When the fermentation has finished add potassium sorbate to kill off the yeast, then add sugar to the level of sweetness you require and keg as normal.

Wally

Wally,
I didnt add any artificial sweetner.
I would like to kill off that sweet artificial aftertaste but not sure how to go about it

Franko

Wally,
I didnt add any artificial sweetner.
I would like to kill off that sweet artificial aftertaste but not sure how to go about it

Franko

check the ingredient list on the can! :D

Evening Brewers,
just kegged my first ever Ginger Beer.
I used a coopers kit with 1kg raw sugar and about 125grams of brown sugar.
Problem i have is that its pretty sweetly sick like artificial sweetner,it smells brilliant just wondering if theres any ideas how to knock that sweetner taste out of it now that its kegged.

Cheers
Franko
I have made this kit a few times and have never noticed a sickly sweet flavour. Though I did bottle it and also left it for 6+ weeks.

EK

Yeah I know that one is listed on the can
sorry just being a smart-arse. :)

Maybe you are just sensitive to the sweetener. I know that I hate Diet coke and diet pepsi because the artificial sweetener they use gives me a head-ache, although i don't mind Coke Zero which has a different sweetener.

Or perhaps you kegged too early and there is some residual sugar which is increasing the perception of the sweetner?

You could try adding some extra ginger. boil it, strain into the keg, then recarbonate.

Franko you could try adding some fresh ginger to the keg to increase the ginger bite which should offset the excess sweetness. A bit like dry hopping a keg with ginger. I have added it to the fermenter in the past with good results and adding it to the keg should also work. It is a bit of trial and error as to how much to use but if you start with a small amount you can add some more if needed. I personally like a big ginger bite but my kids don't. I would cut the ginger into slices give it a bash with a rolling pin or some thing hard and then give it a quick boil to kill any nasties. Put the ginger in a small hop sock and toss in the keg. The hop sock can be removed if you want once you hit the right taste level.

Beaten to the punch by Jeff E

Latest posts

Back