Quantcast

Realestate

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

BrentonSpear

Reaction score
I have been using this site for a while now and find it great ;) but what I dont like is scrolling. The header graphic on each page is SOOOO big and the Recent Topics is SOOO long that even on my 21" monitor I am loosing heaps of space and having to scroll down to the all important messages all the time.

Any chance of making the header graphic smaller in size and reducing the Recent Topics to 10 or so?

Overall though, a great site :)

dane

Reaction score
I personally don't mind the heade graphic....i admit is it big but i think it balances the site - but I do agree on the recent topics list!

I think in the next revision of the site it will be revoed and accessable via a link....while it is nice to see the current users online and the recent topics when u initially view the site I agree that they take up too much space.

Point noted and I think I will fix (or atleast provide an option) to have this removed in the future.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Just to throw a spanner in I like the recent topics list ... that assistant thing is a pain in the ass .... keep the recent topics list.

wedge

Reaction score
I'm with Jasony. I use the recent topic list. I'm here daily and hence only navigate through the site using the recent topic list. I like things as they are.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I agree that there's too much screen space gone to waste at the top. On my laptop I can't even see anything of the current page beyond the active tops without scrolling. I use the active topics list too, except I usually click on the More... link so I get a more detailed overview of the current topics. I think having just that link at the topic would be better... if I get bored tomorrow I'll do a mockup of how I think it would look best.

Also, I dunno how it is on your chaps' browser windows, but in mine there's a good one and a half inches of wasted space on the left and right hand sides of the screen.

dane

Reaction score
Let me know if you come up with anything Kai.

The new stuff I have been working on uses a percentage 80% rather than a fixed width - so matter what resolution you are using it will take up more space but still look better than full screen.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
Okay, I did a quick bit of cutting and pasting.. it's not perfect by any means, but I reckon something like this would work better.

First, what the original looks like on my screen:

design1.JPEG

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
Second, how I reckon it could be laid out. Of course, there's plenty of room for change/improvement, but I thought it would be good to give you a general idea of what I was thinking.

Sorry if the pics are a bit big... couldn't be bothered compressing/shrinking them further.

design2.jpg

wedge

Reaction score
yeh i agree, there is a lot of wasted space either side of the page.

likewise the recent topics i think it would be great if it dropped down like the quickreply does or even opens a seperate window like the Smiles Pop Up window.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
ahh well I like it (the recent topics list that is). I think you all need to buy bigger screens or increase your resolution ... :)

BrentonSpear

Reaction score
JasonY said:
ahh well I like it (the recent topics list that is). I think you all need to buy bigger screens or increase your resolution ... :)
21" and 1600x1200 here, it doesnt get much bigger.

devilsaltarboy

Reaction score
I like the recent topics, some people like myself a lot of whom dont tend to make that many posts and check once a day or every second rely on the recent topics as there main browsing tool, if it is not up there I can tend to miss it. Maybe instead of having a set number of recent topics you could on a seperate menu have say topics contributed to in last day, 2 days. It would make things easier for the less frequent posters and maybe encourage more contribution

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Recent Topics panel also.
It is the place I check to see what is new.

Fiscus, how about an RSS feed for AHB, so we can see as new topics are created via RSS ? That would be fantastic.

Beers,
Doc

Tony M

Reaction score
If this is a vote, I too rarely use anything other than the recent topics list. Please leave it.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
I like the recent topics list - keep it there - in fact, when we switched over, I was disappointed that it wasn't longer or in two columns!!
TL

DaveR

Reaction score
I vote for the recent topics list to stay as is. When I bring the site up on a pc that I have not logged on before, I feel lost without the recent topics list. It's not that hard to scroll down with the mouse wheel.

DaveR