• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Real Ale For Roach, Hand Pumped Cask Conditioned

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Roach asked about beer engines and CO2 blankets in the Soda Stream post so I thought I'd start this thread up so the other one wasn't hijacked ;)

Roach this guy here has a few little pages for Real Ale. Might be an interesting read for you and to look at his set up.

http://biohazard.veriqik.com/

Cheers, Justin

Thanks Justin. Will have a trawl through the site and see if I can get my angram beer engine going. Using the AHB search function didnt yield anything from this site, and seems be a dearth of info about them in Aus generally .

Cheers
roach

roach said:
Thanks Justin. Will have a trawl through the site and see if I can get my angram beer engine going. Using the AHB search function didnt yield anything from this site, and seems be a dearth of info about them in Aus generally .

Cheers
roach
[post="78262"][/post]​
What do you need to get it going? Hopefully the seals an everything are ok and it doesn't need stripping down because I have been told (by someone in that trade) that stripping Angrams pumps and putting them back together again is not an easy task - other manufactures are much easier on that score.

Other than that, it should just be a question of venting your keg, letting out any pressure of Co2 and letting in air or Co2 at atmospheric pressure, and connecting the handpump to the beer post of your keg. Then away you go.

Hi Sean,
Attached are piccys of the pump. I currently do not have a fitting/line to connect to the engine.

Will have to get this up and running for the festive season. Must brew a mild or bitter to test it out.

cheers
roach

pump1.jpg

engine2.jpg

pump3.jpg

roach said:
Hi Sean,
Attached are piccys of the pump. I currently do not have a fitting/line to connect to the engine.

Will have to get this up and running for the festive season. Must brew a mild or bitter to test it out.

cheers
roach
[post="78300"][/post]​
Hmm, not insulated. Most newish Angram's pumps are insulated these days (remember, that cylinder is full of beer getting warm and flat between pulls).

What diameter is the inlet? Generally, handpumps just have a barbed inlet to push 12mm I.D. hose over, but being an ex-crap beer pump, it might be intended to fit a small-bore line. Either way, just go with whatever is easy, but not too small a bore for much distance unless you want to test your muscles.

Do remember when you connect it up, if the beer is being pushed into the pump (eg with Co2 or gravity) then it will flow straight throught the pump and out the other side all on its own - it's a pump, not a tap.

Thanks for the tips Sean. Sounds like given it isnt insulated, it would be ideal for use for special Real Ale sessions.

Back