Reading Pouring Pressures Micromatic Guages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzBeer_MD

Reaction score
Having recently purchased a Keg-Mate kegerator and set it up (Still fine tuning) I am curious about how people read low pouring pressures from the premium series regulators. From reseach here on the forum, I should be able to balance my system with about 30 kPa pouring pressure, however I suspect that I will end up near my old pouring pressure of 9-10 PSI (69kPa). How do you read these pressures on a guage that goes up to 800 kPa? There is a graduation line to indicate 50 and anther at 100 kPa ?? Is it better to work with the imperial (PSI) guages that only go up to 60 PSI (413kPa) ?

I like my Pale Ales at 2.6 volumes so @ 100KPA I just got extra long 5mm line. Depending on what you're aiming for in my case I just hit the needle at 100kpa and let it go.

It was still coming out a bit fast but since getting a carbing stone that regulates the pressure and all is going well.

Edit: Reworded.

I though the micromatics had psi and bar on the output gauge. As Pete said about 100kpa = 14.5PSI = very close to 1bar. That pressure is where I serve at too. (and actually carb at too). My reg would only ever move from 10 to 15psi extremes.

QldKev

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have 2.5M of flexmaster (5mm ID) on each of the two taps mounted on the post.

I have carbonated a Hefeweizen at 300kpa for 48 hours (using the Gas in post) and I now find that there are bubbles in the beer line. Will increasing my pouring pressure have any bearing on this 'over carbed' problem?

I though the micromatics had psi and bar on the output gauge. As Pete said about 100kpa = 14.5PSI = very close to 1bar. That pressure is where I serve at too. (and actually carb at too). My reg would only ever move from 10 to 15psi extremes.

There are 2 types of guage for the Micromatic Reg. The ones on the Micromatic website show PSI (the same as the Cornelious regulator that I have been using util recently) but my new reg has 0 -800 Kpa (and bar)

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have 2.5M of flexmaster (5mm ID) on each of the two taps mounted on the post.

I have carbonated a Hefeweizen at 300kpa for 48 hours (using the Gas in post) and I now find that there are bubbles in the beer line. Will increasing my pouring pressure have any bearing on this 'over carbed' problem?

For a slow pour @ 100kpa you're looking at 4+ meters depending on serving hight.

I get bubbles in my line these days but that's due to temperature difference with an old fridge. Sounds like you might have over carbed your beer if it's not temp related.

Disconnect the gas and release any pressure using the pressure release valve.
Then shake the keg and slowly release the pressure again.
Do this a three or four times then let the keg sit for a few hours.
This should get rid of the excess carbonation and see you right.

Beers,
Doc

Edit: too much quote

For a slow pour @ 100kpa you're looking at 4+ meters depending on serving hight.

Yep, crazy, so for 2.5 metres I am looking at a lot less than 100 PSI hence my original post.

I figure that if I can establish a nice pour on a portable set up at low pressure using a tap a 0 metres using one of these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=754 (which I can) then i shouldn't need a crazy length of line in the kegerator. Or am i missing something with regards to the long tern storage of carbonated beer? I am happy to carbonate at a different pressure.

I like my Pale Ales at 2.6 volumes so @ 100KPA I just got extra long 5mm line. Depending on what you're aiming for in my case I just hit the needle at 100kpa and let it go.

It was still coming out a bit fast but since getting a carbing stone that regulates the pressure and all is going well.

Pete , are you saying that you leave the Co2 line attached to the carbonating lid (as opposed to the gas in post) for pouring?

I have just taken a look at the second tab on CrozDogs spreadsheet - Very enlightening. What you guys are saying is starting to make sense.

MD

Latest posts

Back