Reading A Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but when you read a refractometer do you take it from where the solid blue area starts to fade or where the blue ends completely and the area is white. I e noticed this can be a difference if 1 point vehicle is probably not such a big deal but still would like to know.

Cheers

Probably a stupid question but when you read a refractometer do you take it from where the solid blue area starts to fade or where the blue ends completely and the area is white. I e noticed this can be a difference if 1 point vehicle is probably not such a big deal but still would like to know.

Cheers

You don't see a solid, darker line?

It should be a fairly solid cut-off point unless you have air bubbles, trub or other crap on the prism, or if you're looking into poor light. Do you get a solid cut-off with just water and looking into a bright light?

Cheers,
tallie

As others have said you should be seeing a definitive, crisp separation between the blue and white.

Sometimes i see a blurry line, and to fix it, just lift the lid and put back down again. Air bubbles, and crap can affect the clarity of the reading.

Trub. Take a sample in a cup or something that's maybe 30ml, and then let it settle out.

Take the clear stuff off the top. Crisp delineation.

Thanks gents. Nicks right I don't bother letting it settle and do see trub in my sample. I'll give that a try and see how I go.
I certainly don't see a solid difference. It's more like a vignette from blue to white. I thought I must have been doing it wrong.

I find that if you can aim it towards a brighter light that seems to help a little too

Latest posts

Back