Re Using Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loot

Reaction score
Hi

I have a really good strain of liquid yeast I have been buying that I want to re-use. I want to keep making the same brew as it is very enjoyable. What is the best way of using the slurry left after I bottle. Ihave a second fermenter that I plan to mix my wort and add about two tablespoons of the slurry direcly into the wort in the second fermenter. I figure that a direct transfer will not allow any nasties to get into my next brew and give me a tasty beer.

Will this work?

well there is a few ways. Search for tony's splitting yeast packs. or there is a thread on washing yeast slurry (search). you can also pitch onto the same yeast cake so bottle and have the next brew ready to pour on straight away. you can harvest the yeast cake (like washing) but dont wash it but you will need alot more yeast then the washing method

I quite regularly store half a glass of slurry in the fridge for a few days. Or pitch it in the next brew. Using all the yeast cake is over kill but have done that as well. If you store the yeast at a low temp make sure you lift to the brew temp before you pitch it.

Cheers

Could always top crop some pure yeasty goodness off the krausen and pitch straight away as its pure yeast and ready to rock n roll.

I do it differently, I bottle my beer usually in 1.5 litre bottles, condition and store the bottles. Then when I drink the beer I use the yeast in the bottom of the bottle to make a starter, then build up the starter ready for pitching into the new batch.

The starter is made up similar to using Coopers Pale ale yeast Link

Once I've transferred from primary, I fill a few sanitised jars with about 300ml of yeast cake and store it in the fridge. Anything that doesn't get used in a month gets tossed. Never had a problem doing it this way. Just remember to release the pressure from the jars every few days. You'd be surprised at how much gas the yeast can still generate at low temperatures.

I've also pitched directly onto an entire yeast cake, but that was an overkill in my opinion. The airlock was "moneyshotting" for about three days.

And as Wolfy suggested, you'll need more than a few tablespoons.

Always taste a sample from the fermentor prior to reusing yeast. Any sign of an infection don't reuse it.

Slosh the yeast and left over beer in the fermentor around to mix it. Depending on how much beer was left, fill either a 300ml or 600ml sanatised coke bottle of the slurry. Pour your next brew onto the left over yeast cake, and as a bonus you have a coke bottle full of yeast for later.

Store the bottle in the fridge. When you are ready to reuse the coke bottle yeast. gently tip of the beer from the top of the bottle into a glass, and taste/drink it. Once again any thought of an infection dump it. Otherwise just pour the yeast from the bottle in the fermentor and away you go.

If you've just brewed a big stout and now want to brew a lager, you will need to wash the yeast prior to reuse.

QldKev

Mr Malty is also a great tool for understanding how much Yeast you need to pitch, I like using the compact yeast slurry slider all the way to compact as I think it takes the guesswork out of it, but it does take longer as you need to let the yeast settle for a day or two to get it accurate...

having washed rinsed yeast for a while now, I know that the bottle I use will collect about 100ml (rinsed yeast) which is just about perfect for me, I generally (due to my storage times) have to pitch about 60ml compact slurry, it makes the math easy if I know I have 100ml, I can pitch 60% of the liquid volume when mixed up.

:icon_cheers:

Back