Re-using Plastic Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_W

Reaction score
A quick question - and it may be a stupid one at that.

If reusing the plastic bottles supplied with my kit do I need to buy some more tops for a better seal or can you get away with also re-using the original screw tops?

i actually heard on a radio advertorial a few months back that the caps for the plastic coopers bottles are supposed to be reused. obviously you need to make sure that the tops are santized b4 reuse. Chuck em once too grubby or getting out of shape.

the radio show was on 5AA where the resident comedian(John Blake) chucked away all of the bottle tops from his first batch, and in response Coopers sent him something like 500 tops once they heard the story on the radio. nothin like a free plug

...and the bottles are a good size to start a yeast culture.
I have made many cultures in these reusable bottles.
Can also use softdrink bottles for this purpose, as they are available in many convenient sizes

Hi mark,
Dont buy any more caps. You can just reuse ones of soft drink bottles for a few more times.

cheers

:huh: I have just gone out and bought new ones.... OWELL it was only a few dollars for 30.

When you buy new lids, do you take the time to snip off the little plastic rings that get behind on the neck of the bottles? Seems like a lot of effort to me.

I've reused the same bottles and lids 5 or 6 times, and never had any problems holding pressure.

Yes it took me a while to rip those plastic rings off, will not do it next time though..

Thanks all.

Am about to bottle my Pilsener after 2 weeks of cc'ing and then am putting down one of Grumpys Master Kits (Boston Cream) - everyone seems to rave about it so I thought I'd give it a go.

Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose any beer to a stupid thing like bad caps!

Latest posts

Back