Re-using Pbw?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I've got 6 cornys i want to soak with PBW.

if i mix up enough to do 2, then transfer into the next 2 and so on for the final pair... is that ok?

i realise it will take me around a week to do the full soak on all of them but finding a couple minutes a night is easier than an hour or two..

cheers

should be fine I leave sodium perc for a week or 2 then it gets reused for another week or 2. But I had about 3/4 the amount when I transfer it to the next keg, fermenter or cube just to be sure.

rinse out and get rid of as much debris and grime as possible first. The less crap the PBW soaks off the more it can keep working

I just did 7 kegs.

Use two scoops in about 3/4 of a keg. Put the keg upside down, then later shake it and turn it right way up. Later make up a gas to liquid transfer hose and connect the liquid out of the pbw keg to the gas in on another keg. Transfer all the PBW with the PRV open and start the cycle

kelby are u sure its ok, i thought the active ingredient in PBW is the same as napisan sodium percarbonate which degrades from peroxide into water + salt. Other than a highly basic solution (with pbw) after a week i would have thought whatever reaction was well and truly over. I have however done what stux did and clean multiple kegs but that was over the duration of a few hrs.

Never re-used PBW but I always re-use the napisan.

There are always kegs/fermenters/cubes in my brewery full of napisan. When time comes to use one i empty the contents into another keg/fermenter/cube until such time as it looks dirty.

Can't see why PBW wouldn't be able to be re-used too.

great to see the discussion.

as my usual routine is a good rinse, kettle of boiling water, shake, empty, dry, store, kettle of boiling water, shake, empty, starsan, fill.

i reckon a PBW soak will do wonders, even if the PBW is a few days old i think it will do something.

got 2 soaking, 40g to 10 litres water, 1/2 day upright, 1/2 day upsidedown, then transfer to next kegs

i'll see what happens.

kelby are u sure its ok, i thought the active ingredient in PBW is the same as napisan sodium percarbonate which degrades from peroxide into water + salt. Other than a highly basic solution (with pbw) after a week i would have thought whatever reaction was well and truly over. I have however done what stux did and clean multiple kegs but that was over the duration of a few hrs.
It baffles me why the manufacture doesn't disclose this sort of info. Really its bad customer service and somewhat product defeative .
Buy this product and it lasts as long as a piece of string ????????
Nev

pbw lasts as long as it is still effective... it is in fact, as long as a piece of string.

Like any alkaline cleaner, all that happens is that it gets a little less effective over use. if its still cleaning... its still cleaning. If its not, you can just top it up with a little more pbw and its good to go again.

I keep made up pbw in a 20L cube - if i'm cleaning out say a keg, I'll give it a rinse to get rid of chunks, a pre rinse with a little pbw, then a soak or circulate or whatever with more pbw. when the job is done, i tip the pbw back into the cube unless its really heavily soiled (which it wont be if you rinsed properly) - via a funnel with a strainer in it to catch any chunk stuff. Any small particles settle to the bottom of the cube, below the tap, and i tap clear pbw off for next time.

If it goes cloudy - its probably knackered, if its still clear - then if you notice its cleaning power starting to fade, just top it up with a little more powder. 3-6 months, no worries. You'll use it up on something big and messy long before it goes "off"

btw - PBW works much more effectively when its hot. Up to about 70 its power increases with temperature. You will need less of it and it will work faster.

Only once have I reused PBW till it got disgusting, I was periodically resweetening it.

Now I tend to just keep a soak bin ready to go.

The problem is algae growing in the PBW and bugs/beetles. So I toss it before that happens

Back