Re Pitching Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I have saved my yeast from my fermenter as usual but plan on using it within around 3 -4 days of collecting it and seem to have a fairly large amount of viable yeast in the flask. Do I need to create a starter with it or should it be right to just re pitch?

I often save a 600ml coke bottle of yeast from the fermenter.

Store in a sanitized bottle with the air squeezed out, and store in the fridge until you are ready,
When you are ready, do not disturb the yeast at the bottle, and pour off a little of the beer from the top into a glass and taste it, it may be very yeasty but check for infections. If any hint of being infected throw the lot.
If it is ok, recap it once again by squeezing it until no air is left, allow it to come to pitching temp, shake and pour the lot in.

QldKev

If you enjoy it, try to save some yeast for the brew. :icon_drunk: :lol:

I do this a lot, just rack the beer to a keg, scoop out one or two 200mL jars worth of yeast slurry and repitch one jar into another brew some weeks later. I'm extremely careful with sanitation and have never had a problem. Depending on the age of the re-pitched yeast I may throw in some yeast nutrient too.

cheers

Storing slurry for 3-4 days should not be a problem at all.
It's when it gets over 1 or 2 weeks old that the yeast starts to die in large enough numbers to be a problem.

Back