Re-pitching Yeast After Cc'ing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I'm about to give cold conditioning a go with a E.S.B. Pilsener. I am going to bottle the beer, not keg, do i need to pitch another yeast into the beer after cc'ing? Or will there still be enough suspended yeast to carbonate the bottles

Heaps of yeast still. I've CC'd/lagered for 2 months without any problems. There is still heaps of yeast in suspension, it's just that it takes a fair bit longer to carbonate because you don't have as high yeast count as you would have had if you bottled earlier. Don't worry it will be fine, just be patient.

JD

as justin said, it may just take a bit longer to carbonate. so, instead of one week at room temp after bottling, you may have to wait two or more weeks.

also, i was just reading a post on another board about adding extra yeast at bottling. it basically said it is recommended for beers of about 8% abv or more. and two to three months in secondary shouldnt be a problem for a normal 5% abv beer. good luck
joe

Add yeast at bottling ????? Do it at your own risk. Nothing like a bit of glass in your face to make you realise how stupid some other people's advice can be.

:angry:

Thanks guy's. As i thought, i will just go about things a per usual.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating it, but don't some beers use a different yeast for bottle fermentation to that used in primary. I think Chimay is an example.

Has anyone tried using a different yeast in secondary for example?

Wreck.

Hopeye said:
Add yeast at bottling ????? Do it at your own risk. Nothing like a bit of glass in your face to make you realise how stupid some other people's advice can be.

:angry:
That ain't gonna happen.
Extra fermentables will make bottle bombs, not extra yeast!

The only way I can see extra yeast causing a problem is if it is more attenuative than the yeast you used for fermentation. If you're using the same strain of yeast there shouldnt be any problems :)

Still, I dont think you need to add any extra if you're cc'ing it for less than say 2-3 months.

Back