Re-pitching Onto Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SJW said:
Thanks guys. I think I will combine both your ideas (Ross & Shawn). ie, I will let the starter ferment out (or just use a 375ml stubbie from the fridge), then pour off the clear liquid over the yeast, (like Ross said), then on brew day use some first runnings from the mash to add to the starter to fire it up again prior to pitching, (like Shawn said) But i dont think that 2 hours would be enough time to get the starter to a high Krusen state?
[post="66676"][/post]​

With fresh slurry the yeast will start surprisingly quickly. But don't panic too much, especially if it is fresh you can pitch without the extra step of adding some of your wort if you like. I also tend to use my actual wort rather than first runnings but it is up to you. It all sounds more complicated than it is. You can pitch the whole 2 litre starter if you choose, but given you've used amber malt and are worried about colour/flavour issues, then pitching just the slurry is probably a better option.

Good luck,

Shawn.

Thanks Shawn, It should all go fine. I think I will regret not using liquid yeast before this!

Just to confirm something, I have just started re-using trub and am about to do so again.

I made a bohemian pilsner with a wyeast 2000 a while ago, then I reused this trub for a grumpy's windjammer and now I was planning on re-using the trub again for a north german pilsner, but from what I have read above this might not be a good idea?

I thought if the styles were similar that it wouldn't matter?

Could someone confirm or deny this for me, cheers!

Slugger - thats what I do without any problems at all. From advice and reading i was told there is nothing wrong with this as long as its the same style. Obviously you wouldnt use the trub from a stout in your pilsener.
Cheers
Steve

sluggerdog said:
Just to confirm something, I have just started re-using trub and am about to do so again.

I made a bohemian pilsner with a wyeast 2000 a while ago, then I reused this trub for a grumpy's windjammer and now I was planning on re-using the trub again for a north german pilsner, but from what I have read above this might not be a good idea?

I thought if the styles were similar that it wouldn't matter?

Could someone confirm or deny this for me, cheers!
[post="67125"][/post]​

Slugger, the answer to this can be many and varied.

I have used slurry a few times and had good results but now I aim to get 3 beers from one Wyeast pack. Still fairly cheap that way.

I would be cautious if your slurry is more than a couple of months old. I have read that you should only re-use slurry 3 times at the most and it is best to use it within 10 days of the previous brew being racked off of it. This was on the Maltose Falcons website IIRC.

Do some googling and you will find lots of different answers. Experience is the best teacher when it comes to this. Hopefully your beer will turn out ok. :beer:

C&B
TDA

Well all is lost as I just got a contract for work and cannot brew today as planned. I think I will ditch the slurry I collected and make a new starter from the bottles I made in the fridge..when I can brew again that is.

2 times from the one slurry is enough for me, still have 6 starters of the same yeast in the fridge.

Cheers for the replies..

I havent heard this (reusing slurry by putting new wort on top)mentioned on the site before and found this thread after a search.

Is this a common pratice?

Back