Re Calibrating A Ph Meter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Hi Forum Fellows, :D

Well I got my PH meter back from my son the other day but it came minus the calibrating instructions so I was wondering if any one can tell me how to calibrate the thing.
I have the Buffer solutions ph 4 and ph 7 and it is a Sharp ph40 tester.
It has an on/off switch, a CAL ( calibration button) and a button marked CFM.
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Batz said:
By the way these guys will do 10 of these PH meters for $109 each , AHB bulk order ?
Are you volunteering Batz ?

Doc

I was sort of thinking it maybe nice for someone else to do this one

I've had my turn ;)

But I do want one also

Batz

Hi Batz,

Went to your link from the post in mash ph and joined their site.
I then tried to access the info on calibration and was denied access.
I emailed them and they assured me of my membership by including my user name in the quote that tells me I am logged in as a member.
Still no access!! :angry:
Then i am told that I may have to be a paid up($) member to get to some of their areas :angry:
It was about this time that I realised that I wanted to learn how to calibrate a a PH meter and not how to split the atom so I gave the whole excersise away and went to this forum for help.
I hope that they are a bit more helpful if you decide to bulk buy 10 PH meters and I sincerely hope that they come with instructions, because you will stand no chance of getting this info from them if they dont. :ph34r:

Secret agent in charge of water PH :ph34r:

Dicko

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for that info. Top effort.
I can now get on with the testing. :ph34r: :D
Cheers,

Now I have my meter calibrated ( thanks Andrew ) and I have taken readings of my tap (town supply) water and my rain water.
I have a ph of 7.4 for the tap water and 6.2 for the rain water.
How do these figures compare with some of you people who have checked their supply?

Cheers

dicko said:
I have taken readings of my tap (town supply) water and my rain water.
I have a ph of 7.4 for the tap water and 6.2 for the rain water.
How do these figures compare with some of you people who have checked their supply?
Mine is around the 6.2 mark but with almost no buffering power which is in line with the reputation of Melbourne's water.

I tried to buy a PH meter , had to be a member , joined and still can not get access
lost my custom.

OK anyone know where to buy a PH meter a fair price?

Batz

I used to buy them at a Scientific Supply warehouse locally. Maybe you could check your Yellow pages for any local places.
I recall (this was over 10 years ago) that it was wholesale prices, even on single units, to the public.

You could also try any local hydroponic societies or Hydro growers co-ops.

I have a pH meter by Hanna IIRC, which has a replaceable probe, for when it reaches it limit of calibration. It was from the hydro shop, courtesy of GIO insurance after we had some flooding.

Seth

Heyas,
I wonder why homebrewers bother with pH meters. The probe, if it falls too deep into the mash or beer is buggered instantly. They have to be calibrated with solutions that "expire" quite rapidly and are not food grade.
I personally use non-bleeding indicator strips.
The ones I use range from pH 0-14 but you can buy them in many different ranges. No need to calibrate. Dip them in and read away.
A pack costs about $40 and will last a life-time.
BTW these are not pieces of litmus paper you had in chem class in high school. They are plastic that are coated with four different coloured panels.
cheers
Darren

OK Darren
So tell me more and where I could get them , a approx price?

Batz

Back