(Re) breaking the AG cherry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
Forum dudes,

After a seven or eight year hiatus, I'm about to be in a position to get back into brewing. Putting my keezer together before I move, and planning ahead in earnest.

Being on a farm has meant that I have had no time to do anything other than the odd dump and stir, but now that I'm back in the big smoke (well, as much as you can call Goulburn the "big smoke"), I'm champing at the bit. Haven't frequented this forum for about 8 years so I have no idea how many names I will recognise.

Anyway, here's my first AG, single infusion mash, batch sparge, no-chill.

Irish Red (21 litres)
3.5Kg Maris Otter
250g Wheat
350g Carared
100g Caraaroma
50g roasted Barley

35g Styrian Goldings @ 60 mins

US-05 (I'll find the stir plate when I move in, and will re-culture liquid yeast, but US-05 is clean and simple from what I can remember).

Should come back to me I hope.

Will be more active on the forum when I can.

Wish me luck,

Fester Out

Missed your smiling face Uncle
Only question I have is why put German specialty in to an UK style.
I would thing a nice UK Crystal would work, personally I would choose Heritage Crystal (Crystal made from MO), works a treat in the Irish Red style.
Mark

Missed your smiling face Uncle
Only question I have is why put German specialty in to an UK style.
I would thing a nice UK Crystal would work, personally I would choose Heritage Crystal (Crystal made from MO), works a treat in the Irish Red style.
Mark
Bingo - one name I remember...! Thanks for the feedback. Im not going to be in the house for a few weeks yet, so ample time to tweak it as I go.

The other option I have is to go to my old staple, Pigs Arse Pale Ale (I think the recipe is still here somewhere)

I was also hoping to find one of Franko's old posts, where he designed a heap of tap labels, mine included.

I have managed to lose the files he sent me and was hoping to find the one he posted here to use as a template.

A link I had to his thread in another post id\s dead :(

Fester.

Year, we lost access to a lot of old threads when they migrated to the new forum software.
Personally I have never had a lot of luck with it, but you could try the wayback time machine.
Any how hope we see more of you.
Mark

I use small amounts of Caraaroma in UK bitters, it works really well. Nothing wrong with using something a little out of style if it gives you the results you're after.

Latest posts

Back