Re-aerating Wort.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Guys,

Has anyone re-aerated a wort after it has been fermenting for 5-7 days?
My brew has become a stuck ferment, I think mainly due to not aerating enough before pitching the yeast.

The O.G was 1.061, the S.G. is 1.042 after 7 days. :(

I've racked it and still no activity :angry:

With the S.G. still being so high is it safe to say, I can get a big spoon and stir the shit out of it splashing and all, to get my yeast'ies moving. :blink:

Please help, I'm very frustrated at the moment.

Barney, I wouldn't aerate it because you'll oxidise the beer. Drop it by tube without splashing into another container (maybe twice) and see if that rouses the yeast. Also think about warming it up a little & see if that gets 'em going.

Cheers Ken, I'll give that a go. I heard that the wort could be aerated again cause the S.G. is high, when the yeast start's up again all the oxygen should disperse again, hence no oxidisation.

Not absolutely sure but I seem to remember reading that you can aerate up to about 12-24 hrs after fermentation starts (anybody?). You've got about 30% attenuation there so far which would mean fermentation was well underway. I wouldn't risk it.

Do not aerate after three days from pitching the yeast. Sanitise a brewpaddle, open the fermenter and stir up the yeast from the bottom back up into the beer. That generally helps drop a few points.

If seriously stuck, pitch another yeast. Nottingham is great, alcohol tolerant and a hard worker. Add 23g per 23L and there will be sufficient yeast to ferment the beer in the absense of aeration. If all else fails, pitch a champagne yeast, this is a measure of last resort though.

Jovial Monk

Thanks Ken & JM, your comments much appreciated, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back