Rays outdoors burner suitability?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridges

Reaction score
G'day,
I'm almost ready to have a crack at BIAB but am lacking something to heat water with. Of course I'm trying to do this on the cheap hence wanting to buy at sale prices, but am wondering if anyone has any experience of these.
Cheers
Bridges

Looks like a turkey fryer, Americans love them for brewing in keggles.

That'll do the job nicely. You might need a decent height cake rack or something similar on the bottom of your pot though, cause that sucker will put out some serious heat.

I have a cheap pot i'm intending to use same quality as the bigw number that most people use just scaled up. It's a 35 litre pot and I'm a bit worried about the base will coping with the heat as it is not sandwiched or anything just single layer stainless.

With a thin base pot you might be better off with the rambo type burner as the flame is spread over a larger area.
I've bought a couple of them and find they do a fantastic job for a 60lt boil. Never got around to using the second one as I installed an electric element in my HLT just so I could set the desired temp and not have to monitor it.

.http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2839

Awesome thanks guys, Just need to get this past the minister for finance and war and possibly shopping tomorrow

These are great I have one, for BIAB, got on sale from anaconda when they had their 25% off. Pumps out heaps of heat

One for the Adelaide gang - Gaganis have Companion branded burners like this for around $90 (not sure if reg included though)

Confirming above. I've tried 3-ring burners (and modified it), 20jet Mong burners and NASA (turkey burner as OP) burners. Give me a NASA anyday. As a bonus it can be adjusted for the small pot, and if you decide to scale up later the burner will be happy to run lot bigger batches.

QldKev

QldKev said:
Confirming above. I've tried 3-ring burners (and modified it), 20jet Mong burners and NASA (turkey burner as OP) burners. Give me a NASA anyday. As a bonus it can be adjusted for the small pot, and if you decide to scale up later the burner will be happy to run lot bigger batches.

QldKev
Kev,
How do you go dialing it back without getting too much soot from the burner?
Cheers
Robbo

I'm looking at getting the same burner for biab, now I just have to decide on pot size

robbo5253 said:
Kev,
How do you go dialing it back without getting too much soot from the burner?
Cheers
Robbo

I've never seen a problem with the NASA style burners with soot even at low pressures, unlike the Mongolian.

Got my burner, got my pots, got some swiss voile, (needs cutting and sewing) just have to grab a cube and decide on a recipe and jump in.
Like Big Kev I'm excited.

what size pot did you get mate? I was thinking the crab cooker from rays as well but i think its a bit small at 37.8 litres. I think I might go the the 70lt from craft brewer

Get a 70L if you think you might want to do double batches

I've got a 35 and a 40 litre. I can't see myself at this stage wanting to do double batches so will probably run with the 35 and aim to get 20 litres into the FV.

Back