Rays Outdoors - 20l Cooler Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twenty

Reaction score
Was in Rays Outdoors the other day and they had some 20L (i saw a sticker ripped off with 23L on it) coolers on sale for a bit over $30.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-stor...145#Description

Was just wondering what you guys think these would go like for a small full mash brewing operation?

Im thinking (newb estimations here) 2Kgs of grain, 17L ish pre boil with around 15L post boil wouldn't be to shabby batch size for a beginner setup.

Cheers

For a 15L batch you'd need at least 3kg of grain for a 4-ish percent beer.

Water to grain ratio of say 3:1 so 9L of water. 3kg takes up about 6L of volume. So that's 15L mash. So it would just fit.
If it were me I'd pay a bit more and get one capable of doing a full size batch. Face it you're going to buy a bigger one in the future and then you'll be stuck with this one as well, which you probably only used once or twice. (in my world, space is a premium)

You can have my old 26L (maybe more) esky for free, with barbed outlet (for hose) ... add a stainless steel braid for manifold or keep as is.
I used to fit around 5kg of grain in a bag. You could do almost a full batch (add LME for higher gravity).

Need a pot too? I have 35L and 40L with lids, holes and taps... if you have a wok burner stove or want to buy an element these would work well for full size BIAB brews.

PM if interested

Save your money and buy a Handy Pail from Bunnings for $8 and buy a camping mat to put around it. That is about 21 or 22L. Drill a hole in the side at the bottom, put a tap and braid into it and away you go.

I did that 6 years ago and am still using the same. For a bit more volume get a 30L fermenter or similar and use that. Broccoli boxes (styrofoam) cut into strips and taped on the side make good insulation but camping mat is easier to work with.

If you want to get a cooler save up or wait for the 36L ones to be on special, or buy a cheap esky which will also do fine

Looks like these dimensions would be suitable to hold the 9L German Corny jobbies a number of us got sometime ago. Maybe good to stick an old tap in it and run gas from the outside???

good on you seemax, hope you give him a few bottles of HB for the effort there twenty. lucky find

Back