Raw Cacao Nibs In Bourbon Fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza88

Reaction score
Earlier i ground up 35g of cacao nibs (didn't roast or boil - raw) and poured maybe 50 to 70 ml of bourbon on top swirled around and then added one vanilla bean (cut and scraped).

Just walked past and noticed that it now has a foam head and up against the light there is lots of bubble activity.

So my question is, can this be fermentation? In a spirit at 37 % abv? Smells like bourbon atm.

EDIT: They were Cacao crunch which had a coating of panela or something - a sugar source i guess.

I will let it sit for a few days just to see what is happening and either use in small portion of batch or mixed with coke or put down the sink.

No.

There ain't no yeasties with alcohol tolerance that high.

I wonder what the bubble activity is about then. Other microbe?

I wonder what the bubble activity is about then. Other microbe?

Nothing will live in there, it may be just that the nib things are porous and releasing air?

Where did you get em btw? Looking for some pure nibs cheap for liquer making.

From a health food store, ten bucks for 100g, cacao crunch. I should have got the actual raw untouched stuff for 15 bucks Search on ebay also, there is a few sellers there.

Next time I will roast to be safe or try some in the later boil, apparently they can be subbed for hop bitterness

You on shift work mate? Posts at one and six am?

I'd put it down to a chemical reaction as the nibs break down in the alcohol rather than organic activity.

From a health food store, ten bucks for 100g, cacao crunch. I should have got the actual raw untouched stuff for 15 bucks Search on ebay also, there is a few sellers there.

Next time I will roast to be safe or try some in the later boil, apparently they can be subbed for hop bitterness

You on shift work mate? Posts at one and six am?

Thanks i'll do an ebay search, never thought of that.

I only found these mad hippies and one other store on a google search...

http://australianrawqacao.com/

http://www.powersuperfoods.com.au/cacao-power-raw-beans.html

No shift work, just a poor sleeper. :rolleyes:

Back