Raven's Fridge Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
My kegging fridge became a reality when we bought a new bigger kitchen fridge.

The following mainly outlines the removal of the existing door lining, which was the only tricky part.

It is a 290L fridge and without the door lining & the associated shelves sticking out of it, I can just squeeze 4 cornie kegs in. The compressor hump means I am still needing to fabricate a shelf, but in the meantime it fits 2 kegs no worries. Once the shelf is complete, I shall have some room under the kegs to store yeast slants, etc. The freezer is still good hence used for Hops and extra food storage if needed.

I installed a Celli tap, and have made an allowance for one more down the track (hence the tap is off centre).

Thanks to Ross @ Craftbrewer for his input on the keg system setup, I can highly recommend him for all kegging needs.

OK, onto the build... door lining was removed (held in by screws) and reinstated with laminated MDF to eliminate moisture entering the door. I am initially reusing the door seal as still in ok nick, but have some rubber on hand if it goes pear shaped.

Used various drill bits to remove sections of foam and to drill the larger hole for the tap through the fridges outer skin. Boy this took some effort, and as it went through the metal it broke my drill bit. It was the cheapest bit at Bunnings, so there you go.... hehe.

DSCN3088.JPG

DSCN3090.JPG

I also used a piece of rubber to aid in a neater flush fit to the back of the tap/door liner as per the pics. Just glued this inplace onto the MDF, and siliconed the exposed MDF afterwards.

DSCN3092.JPG

DSCN3096.JPG

DSCN3105.JPG

For the Gas line into the fridge, I drilled a hole from the inside of the fridge through just the plastic liner, then poked around with a thinner piece of wire to check for any services. None in the way, so continued to drill through. Siliconed up once gas line was in place.

DSCN3101.JPG
Gas line into side of fridge

Then simply hook up all hoses & fittings, regulator and CO2 gas from BOC (hired) until fire extinguisher becomes a reality...

DSCN3122.JPG

DSCN3121.JPG

Some great inspiration on this site, so just talk SWMBO into it, and you are on your way!!!
Cheers! :beerbang:

Love those cellis!!!! pity I'd already completed my kegerator by the time those puppies came to town.

Nice work

Cheers

JSB

Nice Work mate..

Im sure that is a hole-saw for wood, probably why it broke...

Need a Bi-metal Hole Saw for metal, as below...

Need a Bi-metal Hole Saw for metal, as below...

Cheers CB, I read on the hole saw packaging that they were fine for metal - but I agree the above would be much better! Live and learn eh!?

Another investment prior to tap #2 being installed... some months away I suspect though!

Last day of holidays essentially for me today... its hot outside, but I finally finished the Keg Fridge! :beerbang:

Initial plan was to use some nice Cedar, however the shortish Celli Taps, and the thickness of the timber made it too difficult. In addition the most important factor in this design is to reduce/eliminate any shank sticking out the back of the fridge door - as I want to fit 4 kegs in there... I can do that now, but its a tight squeeze!

So some checker plate, SHS tubing, some welding, etc., and a sparkly coat of paint brings it together nicely (about $40 in materials).

The drip tray was bought off evilbay for around $50 I think.

I used the Stem Elbow for Craftbrewer to reduce the ingress into the fridge space (thanks for the pointer on that one Ross!).

Inside of Fridge:
DSCN3580.JPG

Drip Tray removed:
DSCN3578.JPG

DSCN3579.JPG

DSCN3577.JPG

A Pint of Dr S' Landlord... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:
DSCN3581.JPG

She's definitely a looker... Thanks for the inspiration and the pics!

O'Henry if you want a hand building yours give me a yell

You're going to need to change that signature quote to "Quaff the raven"!

Back