Rats eating the grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Beardmore

Reaction score
How many of us have an issue with rats eating malt? And how do you trap them/ Anyone using Fenns?

1682662413376.png
1682662430410.png
You need to keep your malt in something like these. Not only does it keep vermin and insects out, it keeps the malt perfectly dry and it'll last for years. A 25 Kg sack of malt will fit, sack and all, in a 60 litre barrel. If the rats have been nibbling at the sacks, that's one thing, but if they've got into the malt and pissed in it then I'd throw it away.
They should go away of their own accord if there's nothing for them to eat.

Last edited:
I’ve had mice/rats chew through thick plastic to get to what’s inside
If you can source it I’d use steel drums to store your grain. At least the bugga’s can’t chew thru the steel

I’ve had mice/rats chew through thick plastic to get to what’s inside
If you can source it I’d use steel drums to store your grain. At least the bugga’s can’t chew thru the steel

Yes indeed

These are brilliant and cheap, the importer has no 2nd use and can't send them back. Check your local fb marketplace or gumtree

Malt, animal feeds, bonfires

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_105007_Gumtree.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_105007_Gumtree.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 0
Can't beat the classics.
I store the chicken feed in one and the rats out there are sized like something from a Stephen King novel.

images

How many of us have an issue with rats eating malt? And how do you trap them/ Anyone using Fenns?
I use a galvanised Rhino tool box from Bunnings to store sacks of grain and a plastic barrel as shown above for specialty grains.

And how do you trap them/ Anyone using Fenns?
I see your location is Croydon so guessing Croydon UK?

I have used Fenns in the UK and they are extremely effective and humane set in tunnels. But I believe they are illegal everywhere here AU probably due to incidental catch of snakes and lizards etc.

For anyone unfamiliar with Fenn traps just Googled this random vid to give you an idea.

Traps will account for the occasional mouse/rat, but require constant checking/resetting, also rats are smart and can learn from each other, so if you have an infestation sooner or later they learn to avoid them.
,This time of year (Autumn) they move in looking for somewhere warm, I use bait stations (I have dogs, and chickens) with a one feed: kill bait. Check and re-stock every 3 days initially then weekly once they're under control.
It's situation dependant of course, I live in a rural sprawling 7 bedroom house with sheds, garages, and a man cave, trapping would be a full time occupation, and eventually prove ineffective, a 3 bedroom house on a suburban block without livestock would be a completely different kettle of fish.
For the record I use bait as a last resort, we have sea eagles, owls, and other raptors, also red belly black snakes (a truly beautiful reptile) that could pick up a poisoned rodent but I've tried everything from traps (both live and lethal) to "sonic" deterrents, and eventually it's only the baits that work.
The black bin was bought on a Saturday afternoon and filled with dog food, the photo was taken Sunday morning.
Dog food.jpg

How did they get in? The hole (sharpie/texter for reference) was inside a cupboard, who knows how long they had been there, they then squeezed under the door.
Rat hole.jpg

Steel rubbish bins are great for dog food etc, but they're not air tight, so for grain I use the blue bins, as suggested ^^^
Grain bin (1).jpg

Traps will account for the occasional mouse/rat
That is completely wrong Grmblz. Fenn traps will catch countless rats as they are set in tunnels unbaited so rats are not as suspicious of them as they are with baited traps. The rat’s preference to use tunnels as cover to move about rather than stay out in the open is their undoing.

The op was asking about trapping rats and specifically about Fenn traps so that’s what I was responding to.

The OP did not mention having an infestation but if so the rats will learn to avoid bait stations just the same as traps. Also with bait rats can and will take the poison and hide it elsewhere especially with an infestation if food is scarce, so not good if you have pets or chickens that may find it. Another problem with poison is the rat can die anywhere so if in a stud wall or somewhere inaccessible will rot and stink for weeks.

I only use poison as a last resort if any rats are left and have become wary of traps. Then again you may come across on old and wise rat that is almost impossible to catch or kill.

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and there was one such wise old rat that was getting into an outdoor kitchen. Nothing would get rid of it. Even lacing a piece of meat with cyanide that had been acquired under the counter at the local hardware shop.

Luckily it was just after Chinese New Year and the streets in the village were littered with undetonated fire crackers so enough powder was gathered up to put together an improvised claymore that was set in the kitchen and that did the job ok. The explosion did cause a bit of damage to a nearby washing machine but at least that was the end of the rat problem.

That is completely wrong Grmblz. Fenn traps will catch countless rats as they are set in tunnels unbaited so rats are not as suspicious of them as they are with baited traps. The rat’s preference to use tunnels as cover to move about rather than stay out in the open is their undoing.

The op was asking about trapping rats and specifically about Fenn traps so that’s what I was responding to.

The OP did not mention having an infestation but if so the rats will learn to avoid bait stations just the same as traps. Also with bait rats can and will take the poison and hide it elsewhere especially with an infestation if food is scarce, so not good if you have pets or chickens that may find it. Another problem with poison is the rat can die anywhere so if in a stud wall or somewhere inaccessible will rot and stink for weeks.

I only use poison as a last resort if any rats are left and have become wary of traps. Then again you may come across on old and wise rat that is almost impossible to catch or kill.

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and there was one such wise old rat that was getting into an outdoor kitchen. Nothing would get rid of it. Even lacing a piece of meat with cyanide that had been acquired under the counter at the local hardware shop.

Luckily it was just after Chinese New Year and the streets in the village were littered with undetonated fire crackers so enough powder was gathered up to put together an improvised claymore that was set in the kitchen and that did the job ok. The explosion did cause a bit of damage to a nearby washing machine but at least that was the end of the rat problem.
Yep, I use stations with steel rods that the baits are threaded onto, so stealing the baits can't occur.
Allegedly the bait I use causes the rodents to become thirsty and they go looking for water, so dying inside hasn't been an issue (yet!)
Love the idea of blowing the sh*t out of the little buggers though, although my 12 gauge would probably be over kill.

They say rats are highly intelligent, but they appear just as stupid and greedy as humans here, save for that clever (possibly psychopathic) bugger perched on the rim who grabs a feed while his comrades fall into the abyss. Hehehe..suckers..
There are many variations on this system, and I can say from experience that it works. Worth having a drum / bucket with a sealing lid.
You can despatch them humanely via freezing, C02 asphyxiation or wood chipper. The choice is yours.

Back