Rate My Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hey guys

what do you think about this?

Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.70 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average)

81.08% Liquid Malt Extract - Light
13.51% Dry Malt Extract - Light
5.41% Crystal 30

0.5 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 25 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

I am going for a pacific ale type of thing I am not sure about the colour, and the hop schedule
Any ideas for improvement?

Hey guys

what do you think about this?

Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.70 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average)

81.08% Liquid Malt Extract - Light
13.51% Dry Malt Extract - Light
5.41% Crystal 30

0.5 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 25 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

I am going for a pacific ale type of thing I am not sure about the colour, and the hop schedule
Any ideas for improvement?

If you're going for the S & W Pacific Ale, you need to get some wheat in your recipe.

If you can do a 60 minute mash, then do a partial mash with 550gm torrified wheat + 1 Kg ale malt + your crystal. Adjust your quantity of LME accordingly and substitute dry wheat malt for your DME in the recipe. I think your IBUs are about right. It's a very hoppy beer, but not very bitter.

Good luck. It's a great beer.

If you want to make a beer like Pacific Ale not much
First up is to at least gather some information on the beer, it is made with a fairly large fraction of unmalted wheat and oats (about 10% of grist each), you can tell by the creamy even slick flavour/mouth feel and that soft almost pearlescent glow in the glass. Unmalted adjunct will require mashing or at a minimum mini-mashing with at least their own weight of base malt preferably double or better yet full mash.
The beer is very lightly bittered probably around 16-18 IBU and the colour target is only about 10 EBC.
Crystal 30 is an American name for a pale crystal malt, malt in Australia is sold with EBC ratings so you would be looking for something around 60 EBC, the other point is that crystal is already mashed and only needs a 10 minute soak in hot water to give up its sugars so why were you thinking of mashing it for an hour? Or for that matter putting in crystal, personally I cant see/taste any evidence of crystal in the beer.
US-05 would be the right yeast but I think there will be a 60 minute hop addition, from what I hear just the 60 minute and dry hop in fermenter would be the way to go if you want a copy, if you want more hops than the original well thats up to you but the beer doesnt really have the backbone to support too much more hops, its pretty well balanced where it is.

Not trying to be nasty or anything but if you want to make a beer like a known recognise product its pretty hard if you leave out half of what makes that beer what it is.
Mark

+1 for adding a bit more grain to your mash. I know you may not be wanting to move to partial mashes but if your feeling adventurous it will be well worth the small effort.

IBU's look perfectly fine for this hoppy beer but it wouldn't hurt going a little higher.

Any reason you were using both light liquids and dry malt extract? They are pretty much the same thing with the liquid just having a higher moisture content

Happy Brewing!!!

I have a similar one in the fermenter at the moment. Mine had 1.5kg LME liquid plus 1.5kg Coopers Wheat LME though, so the wheat addition is correct.
My hop schedule was :
10g Galaxy @ 20min
15g Galaxy @ 10min
20g Galaxy @ 0min and rest 2 min.
I'm hoping it'll be good. Will see in a few weeks.
Cheers,
Andrew

I am set up for all grain biab style, I am half way through my last keg and I need some quick beers!
the plan is to do this one and Neils Centenarillo ale on the kitchen stove at the same time.

at the moment 3ish hours to pull out one batch is going to work.

Back