Rate My American Ipa Hop Combo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
I have the following malt bill

50ltr batch

11.2kg pale
2.2kg munich I
0.75kg wheat
0.55kg victory

mashed around 66oC

looking for 1.068 or there abouts OG.

and am thinking

challenger / ekg to 30IBu

simcoe / columbus in 50/50 ratio to around 30 ibu in three steps (15 / 10 & 5 mins) to around 40IBU

cascade / galaxy / chinook dry hop, roughly 2 / 1 / 1 ratio.

Looking for nice resiny citrus from simcoe & columbus, then plenty of citrus / passionfruit from the dry hops.

I like UK hops early to smooth out the bittering, so really only looking for thoughts on the late / dry hop additions.

yeast is WLP051, so aiming for around 1.016 or there abouts FG.

Thoughts appreciated.
:beer:

All looks good, though I am unsure about the galaxy... I have never used it myself yet but have heard good and bad on using in late and dry hopping with it and would suggest not over doing.

I would think that the Galaxy and Chinook would not compliment each other too well....

I have never tried them together, hence the word 'think' but knowing them both individually... mmm, na.

2c.

Galaxy and Chinook work well together, but (and it is a big one) - do not dry hop with Galaxy.

Use Galaxy and chinook for early addition bitterness, and some Chinook to offset the over-fruitiness (in some people's opinions) that Galaxy has - the piney resinousy thing is complementary.

Someone did a version of my Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale, subbing Cascade for Chinook and PM'd me to say that he was impressed with the results.

I'm currently working through lots of Chinook, in conjunction with Centennial, Citra (I love Citra) and some Cascade.

Goomba

That hop grist looks good too me. Perhaps more complicated that it has to be though.

Galaxy is good in low quantities, too much can give a 'canned pineapple' aroma. This was from a brew I did with 100% galaxy in my hopback... Never again.

Im drinking a S&W style ale which I dry hopped with galaxy and cascade. 15g, and 10g, so not heaps, and I think they work well together.

but (and it is a big one) - do not dry hop with Galaxy.

Should you go tell Stone & Wood to stop doing it in their Pacific Ale?

My mate loves S&W and does his clone with anywhere from 40g to 100g dryhopped Galaxy in a 23L batch and loves the stuff... mind you i think he really enjoys the pineapple/grapefruit thing.

Should you go tell Stone & Wood to stop doing it in their Pacific Ale?

My mate loves S&W and does his clone with anywhere from 40g to 100g dryhopped Galaxy in a 23L batch and loves the stuff... mind you i think he really enjoys the pineapple/grapefruit thing.
Not sure if it is dry hopped with it.

I find that it really shines as a 10 min addition, lots of that grapefruit/passionfruit flavour, none of the harshness that an early or dry hopped addition tends to produce.

I like galaxy - but treated with care.

The key to successfully dry hopping with galaxy is time ... 12-24 hours is great, past that weird shit happens. Up to 48 hours if you are using only a small amount - galaxy does not get better the more you use.

I use small amounts and its brilliant. Having one now as I cook snags. I over did it once and jesus it was shit. However as stated, small amounts I find it gorgeous. The aroma is heaven!!

I use small amounts and its brilliant. Having one now as I cook snags. I over did it once and jesus it was shit. However as stated, small amounts I find it gorgeous. The aroma is heaven!!

I'm brewing an IPA right now with 5g of Galaxy in it. Bucketloads of NZ Cascade, but with the hint of Galaxy in there it works like a citrus enhancer - and it doesn't do pasito, but more like pink grapefruit.

Just finished up.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Brewed with my brother and his mate

Great day and i think i may have a new convert to the dark side.

Ended up with same first additions of uk hopz followed with 55gm cascade, 25gm galaxy & 15 gm simcoe three times at 15, 10 & 5 minutes out.
Will keep thinking about dry hop additions but likely to be mostly cascade
and maybe some galaxy.

Cheers

Here's where a Randalizer comes in handy! :)

If you've already got a keg system and have a spare $150-200 it may be worth it just for experimentation sake.

I personally am not a great fan of many different types of hops in my home brew, I try to keep it to 2 and will eventually (once I get a better understanding of hop flavours, of course) start to dry hop with a third.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

FG at 1.014, ABV~7.2%

Ended up dry hopping with equal parts cascade citra and columbus to 3gm/ltr total.

Looking forward to this one.

Cheers again for input.
:icon_chickcheers:

Back