Raspberry Pi Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Anyone had a look at the new raspberry Pi devices?

Raspberry Pi

PI.PNG

Bascially they are a small circuit board with an ethernet port, 2 usb ports, hdmi, RCA Video and audio, memory card slot and powered by a micro usb cable. Best of all there only $35.

What do they do I hear you ask? Well I already had an apple Tv which was jailbroken and had XBMC (Xbox Media centre) installed on it. This was networked to my PC so any movies and Tv shows I downloaded could be streamed via the PC through the xbmc and onto the TV screen. So gone were the days of having to burn movies to disc. It can also play music, view your photos and even supports airplay from your phone.

Also has add ons and plug ins such as Youtube, apple movie trailers and many more.

Anyway I wanted another one to connect to the second TV in the family room. Raspberry Pi does the same job but its only $35.00. You install a version of openelec with xbmc on your flash card, plug it into the raspberry Pi and connect it to your tv via hdmi and you have a media centre setup to watch all your content.

It works great, supports full 10180 hdmi and you can use your Tv remote to control it if you have hdmi CEC support. (LG Tvs call this simplink.) You can also use a keyboard or an IOS or android remote to control it via wifi.

Its a great media server at a fraction of the cost. You can buy them from element14, I ordered mine Friday and it was here Monday morning..No affiliation etc.

element14

You just get the circuit board so have to mount it in a jiffy box. (mines just sitting on the tv stand for now.) So if your into this sort of thing then check it out.

Minor detail missed - apple TV has Wi-Fi so you'd need an Ethernet dongle of some sort

Minor detail missed - apple TV has Wi-Fi so you'd need an Ethernet dongle of some sort

Ahh yes very good point. I have two wireless routers, one in the study and one in bridge mode connected to the first via an ethernet over power device in the loungeroom. So the Pi connects via ethernet directly into that.

But otherwise you could use a wireless dongle instead.

Have you seen brewpi?
Google it it's pretty cool!

I reckon this thing would struggle with full 1080p video.

I reckon this thing would struggle with full 1080p video.

Apple TV didn't support 1080p until the third gen boxes anyway. If he's got first or second gen unit he may be trading up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back