Raspberry Hefe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakey

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the process of making a raspberry hefeweizen and am after some advice on how much fruit to use. I have the hefe in the primary since last night and was going to rack the beer off onto the berries after the krausen settles. The recipe was a 60/40 pale to wheat grain bill and used a 1.5L Wb06 starter batch was 23L ended up with 1.042 fg. Any advice on how much berries to add to get a good raspberry flavour without being over too sweet. Oh and I am using the frozen berries from supermarket.

Didnt mean for this topic to be in the kits and extract section :p im on the train and still getting used to using ahb on phone

Hi all, I am in the process of making a raspberry hefeweizen and am after some advice on how much fruit to use. I have the hefe in the primary since last night and was going to rack the beer off onto the berries after the krausen settles. The recipe was a 60/40 pale to wheat grain bill and used a 1.5L Wb06 starter batch was 23L ended up with 1.042 fg. Any advice on how much berries to add to get a good raspberry flavour without being over too sweet. Oh and I am using the frozen berries from supermarket.

It is unlikely you'll end up with too much sweetness, as most of the fermentable sugars will be metabolised by the yeast. What you do run the risk of the beer being a little tart as raspberries (especially the frozen variety) are quite acidic.

For a 23L batch I'd add 1kg and see how it sits with the recipe you've put together. You can always make it again and bump the amount up if it is too little.

Good luck,

JD

Hi mate, i have made a few of these, let it ferment out and rack it onto 500gms of frozen berries from the supermarket. Leave for a week or so and keg or rack again and CC. You can always add more next time. You could use as much as 1kg as a starting point. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice guys, I might go with a kilo adding them after the first week of fermentation, see how I go. Any suggestions about preparing the berries? I was just going to bring them to room temp add to fv then rack the beer onto them.

Thanks for the advice guys, I might go with a kilo adding them after the first week of fermentation, see how I go. Any suggestions about preparing the berries? I was just going to bring them to room temp add to fv then rack the beer onto them.

Heat them in a small amount water to about 80 degrees (this should be high enough to knock off any wild yeast which may be hanging around, but low enough to not pull out any pectin --> clarity issues) and give em a whizz with a stick blender. Chuck into secondary and rack your beer onto it.

The fruit concentrates that craftbrewer sell are great. I put about 1/8 of a bottle in a keg and it's just nice. Fruit should never dominate a fruit beer.

Last time I did a raspberry heffe I lightly boiled 2kg of berries for ten minutes just to be sure about any nasties (probably didnt need to but....). The boiling extracted heaps of colour from the berries. I put that mix in to another fermenter and racked the beer (post primary) onto the berries and left it for three days before crash chilling and filtering then kegging & carbing.

The flavour was prominent but definetly not over the top, in fact I would have preferred a bit more flavour. The colour was fantastic and it had my wifes attention from the start. I usually do my heffe's with a ferulic acid rest to enhance the clove and banana characters. I think in a raspberry heffe those characteristics should be restrained somewhat to allow the raspberries more opportunity to shine through.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers

I made a fruit beer last year. See post 23 for recipe and following posts for advice from AHB-ers.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...26946&st=20

I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. Nice colour, hint of fruit aroma, slight berry taste. It has significantly improved with 6 months in the bottle. It's only mildly tart, but could do with more than just the hint of fruit flavour.

Next time I will use 50/50 pils/wheat and up the berries to 1.5kg per 23 litres. I'd also add a little lactose to sweeten - maybe 500g - but happy to hear results others have had doing this.

I made a fruit beer last year. See post 23 for recipe and following posts for advice from AHB-ers.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...26946&st=20

I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. Nice colour, hint of fruit aroma, slight berry taste. It has significantly improved with 6 months in the bottle. It's only mildly tart, but could do with more than just the hint of fruit flavour.

Next time I will use 50/50 pils/wheat and up the berries to 1.5kg per 23 litres. I'd also add a little lactose to sweeten - maybe 500g - but happy to hear results others have had doing this.

Thats given me an idea, I have 500g of lactose spare I might put at least 250g in to not overdo it and up the raspberries to 2Kg. Im after the raspberry flavours and some colour but might go with some lactose to even out the tartness.

Im glad you did post this topic here because i have been thinking of doing a fruit beer. Could you please keep me posted on this as i am gathering ideas for summer.

I would probly go 2kg berries but let me know how yours goes, i also have some lactose so i am keen to here how that goes too.

What is the recipe you are using for the wheat to start with and what yeast you gonna use??

Cheers jake.

Im glad you did post this topic here because i have been thinking of doing a fruit beer. Could you please keep me posted on this as i am gathering ideas for summer.

I would probly go 2kg berries but let me know how yours goes, i also have some lactose so i am keen to here how that goes too.

What is the recipe you are using for the wheat to start with and what yeast you gonna use??

Cheers jake.

The recipe I used was 60% bb pale malt and 40% bb wheat malt and used two packets of wb06 dry yeast and made a 1.5L yeast starter. It has been bubbling away for a day now.gonna let it ferment out then defrost the 2kg of berries and put them in the fv with some lactose disolved then rack the beer onto it. Will keep you posted on th progress.

Thanks mate its sounds awesome, hope all goes well. Would be a great beer for summer.

Cheers jake.

Back