Raspberries In A Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
try this mob called frozberries. www.frozberries.com.au. 9987 0888.
also when at the last isb brew day myself and another brewer both had raspberry wheat, he used the supermarket berries and i used some farm berries mine had a hell of lot more aroma and little more flavour

i made a raspberry wheat last summer using a mixture of fresh/frozen berries and raspberry essence. I heated the berries up to around 70C to sterilise without producing pectins, and chucked them into primary with a kit, wheat malt extract, a couple of vanilla beans and a sprinkle of hallertau for good measure. i found that the raspberry essence dominated early, i put 2 10mL (i think) bottles into a 23lt batch, which turned out to be too much. it was like a beer cordial gone wrong. after about a month in the keg fridge however it mellowed and some of the real fruit characters came out, very nice on the balance. id definitely do it again, but with a more measured hand, cut the essence, and maybe into secondary instead of primary.

I've got a wheat in the fermenter at the moment and was seriously thinking about adding some fruit to the secondary...but i'm struggling to find some cheap berries of some sort..

Has anyone ever tried using jam? :blink:

the thought occured to me the other day while making the youngins sandwiches.

Sqyre... ;)

i tryed a 600ml jar of a mixed berry jam in a coopers canadian blonde, could hardly taste it in the end and only added a small amount of color, perhaps adding it into secondary would have been a better idea, make sure you get preservative free stuff if you can

-Phill

Latest posts

Back