Rare Earth Magnet - Essential brewing equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
I joined the group of those who have dropped and broken a Hydrometer today.

Thank God it was an old one, which only went up to 1.040, so I didn't use it.

But Christ, the amount of Ball bearings that came out, all over the carpet.

DO NOT FEAR.

I grabbed a Rare Earth Magnet that I ripped out of an old Hard drive.

Voila. All cleaned up.

magnet.jpg

phoneyhuh said:
I use rare earth magnets to hold up my drip tray to the side of my kegerator.
Could you please tell me (us) what are they called so I can search for them?

i have a couple i use to extract the stir bar from the flask just before pitching,

dont get your finger caught between them

Sweet, I thought that the ones you had had some protrusions that may have led to having another description. Cheers :)

Got a few from having to dismantle hdds at work. They're the finger f*ckers.

esssee said:
Thank God it was an old one, which only went up to 1.040, so I didn't use it.
Used to love my Brigalow hydrometer. No need to go above 1.040 for tests during ferment!
Had a very small sample tube and was much easier to read than those long ones, had the lines all the way around and not just on one side (the side that always faces away from you).

phoneyhuh said:
I LOVE this idea! Now to get myself a drip tray. Already ordered the magnets (though I did get a larger number off ebay for less than 1/4 of the price)

phoneyhuh said:

Keg1-1.png
[/
Will they take the weight of a full glass of beer if someone sits the glass on the tray?

Truman said:
Will they take the weight of a full glass of beer if someone sits the glass on the tray?
Yes, it will even take the weight of a full pitcher (jug). I use three of these that are rated to 22kg pull, two through the holes and one underneath. Actually I only ordered two and they sent me three which is lucky as with only two it can start to slowly slide down the face with a glass/jug. I think thats more due to the shiny surface of the freezer. As you know it's much easier to slide a magnet across a fridge than pull it off.

I guess you could put a tiny strip of gaff or leccy tape under the magnet to prevent it sliding. Or just use three and it will be solid as.

Latest posts

Back