RAPT Pill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit embarrassing but Kegland could have made it clearer, i watched the youtube video a few times and it made no mention of the devices initial network being password protected, one of the QR codes on the little info leaflet could have gone to the guide but oh well.

I think that link should take you to the pill product page on our website and then from here we have the quick start guide as a PDF download. Did this not work for you?

Thanks for that graph. It appears you are getting some data loss and I would say improving your wifi reception would help this situation. So if you have the ability to put an AP in the garage then I would do this. The garage might also be clad with tin or metal I am assuming so this also might not help the situation. How far is your AP to the PILL and what are the barriers between the two products? Fermenting fridge, garage walls made of brick, fermenter type, number of meters from the router? It would be interesting to know what your signal strength is given these things.

In addition to this on the most recent firmware update on the Pill you will notice the power consumption is very low. The pill turns on and checks for wifi and if it cannot connect it will not waste battery continuing to try. It will go to sleep and then try again in another 1 hr(the default tememetry time is 1hr). If your router is busy, the signal strength is too weak it may not connect. With the latest firmware your Pill should last 1.5 years or more of continuous use based on 1hr telemetry frequency. If you are seeing some loss the latest firmware also gives you the option of changing down to 15min telemetry frequency. If this is the case it's probably also fine if you miss the od telemetry reading if you are checking 4 times every hour.

I think it is the chest freezer. Here is a phone speed test inside the freezer and on its lid. I will update the frequency with new firmware hopefully will be a work around.

1646720611801.png
1646720619160.png

I think that link should take you to the pill product page on our website and then from here we have the quick start guide as a PDF download. Did this not work for you?

That's not the problem i had, i didn't see the quick start guide on the "more information" tab, customers shouldn't have to go looking for critical product information. There should be something in the main description blurb about reading the quick start guide before initial setup.

Maybe "For initial setup please read our quickstart guide in the more information tab"

Could you make the pill auto run a html setup page when you connect it via usb-c on a computer? It could literally be same web page it displays now when you change your wife to the pill's.
Either that or create a rapt usb dongle (like a cheap wireless kb or mouse) that you plug into a computer for initial setup of all rapt devices.
I guess future revision of the pill could have one of those cheap tiny membrane buttons built in for pairing and other devices just an option in the menu.
At the moment its usable but i wouldn't call it particularly user friendly or plug and play.

I think it is the chest freezer. Here is a phone speed test inside the freezer and on its lid. I will update the frequency with new firmware hopefully will be a work around.

View attachment 121861View attachment 121862
I had initial problems with the telemetry set to 1 hour with my 58L Kegmenter.

I bought a $50 tplink wifi extender and sat it next to my upright freezer chamber.

It was better but I still ended up reducing the telemetry to 15 mins and could then deduce that it had trouble making wifi contact when the freezer was actively running.

15 Min telemetry works fine this way so I've left it.... 4% battery use in about 200+ L.

Working like a charm now.

Also on absolute latest firmware.

Is there currently any way to get the Rapt Pill's information (Temp/SG) to feed across to Brewfather yet?

Is there currently any way to get the Rapt Pill's information (Temp/SG) to feed across to Brewfather yet?

There is away you can do it, but you will have to understand coding and the api to do it.

If you're no good with coding, like me, you just have to wait for the integration from the developer.

And what i understand, he is not that far off finishing this part, as the bz gen4 35l took priority in the past week or so, with that going live.

There is away you can do it, but you will have to understand coding and the api to do it.

If you're no good with coding, like me, you just have to wait for the integration from the developer.

And what i understand, he is not that far off finishing this part, as the bz gen4 35l took priority in the past week or so, with that going live.

Thanks Mate! Had a sneaky look and while I have done a little in the past, and kinda understand the process, I cant even find where to start 🤣

Looks like I'll be waiting too!

A user across on the RAPT Users Facebook Group has posted a How-To Video on how to link the RAPT Pill Cloud w/Brewfather. Works a treat, and was setup within 2mins :D Thanks Trent Devers!

Link: Click Here

A user across on the RAPT Users Facebook Group has posted a How-To Video on how to link the RAPT Pill Cloud w/Brewfather. Works a treat, and was setup within 2mins :D Thanks Trent Devers!

Link: Click Here

he is not a user he is the developer of the rapt products and brewfather will also be adding it like they have with the tilt

all this is at the moment is a custom stream using a webhook

Hahaha, your not the only one! Got me too initially.

Mine doesn’t seem to be going to sleep? Leaving it horizontal on a table it’s continuing to transmit data, hourly. Thoughts?
I had same issue. Set it up last night around 11pm and laid it horizontal on the bench. Put it in a brew this afternoon around 5:30pm. When I logged on to the portal I saw it had been transmitting through the night and day. It gave me one reading from my brew but nothing since. Did you find out why yours didn't go to sleep when laid horizontally?

First time user of the pill.
I normally set my temp control probe to measure the air inside the fridge. Now that I have the pill to tell me what the actual temp inside the fermenter is, I've found I need to set my temp controller to 0.5c less than what I'm targetting so that the temp inside the fermenter matches my target temperature.
I pitched the pill as I was filling my all rounder, but that may have been a mistake. I noticed some gunk adhered to the pill and it's measuring 7 points higher than what my refracto says. Next time I think I'll try letting the fermenter settle for a while before pitching the pill.

Just bought RAPT pill can't get the damn thing to register, why is it so complicated, it should be idiot proof, maybe I'm an idiot?

Hi Razz, the issue then becomes recording your fermentation progress on the same chart.

I've suggested to Kegland that they shoukd add the ability for users to:
- Set the fermentation start date/time
- Set the initial gravity reading
- Alter fermentation readings

While I'm sure these features are needed the initial support guys didn't seem too keen stating the features weren't needed.

Hopefully the community gets them to change their mind.

Just bought RAPT pill can't get the damn thing to register, why is it so complicated, it should be idiot proof, maybe I'm an idiot?
Don't worry FrankD you are not alone. It took me ages to get it working, you need to follow all the steps in order as laid out in the instructions. I have found I have some hitch in that when I log onto the Rapt Cloud, initially I get a blank screen, then if I refresh the graph comes up. I have it working well now although as the developer has stated gravity is only an approximate value and you should still take manual readings. I also rely on my Inkbird located in thermowell in the centre of the wort for accurate temp readings.

I have found that starting the process on a mobile device to direct connect and then completing it on a desktop is easiest, I cant get my PC to connect to the pill or couldn't when I set my first one up but have no issues with my mobile accessing the pill. And as said by others, follow the instructions precisely and make sure the data input when linking is accurate

I had same issue. Set it up last night around 11pm and laid it horizontal on the bench. Put it in a brew this afternoon around 5:30pm. When I logged on to the portal I saw it had been transmitting through the night and day. It gave me one reading from my brew but nothing since. Did you find out why yours didn't go to sleep when laid horizontally?

I have 4 Pills, mine occasionally wake up while in the horizontal position due to vibrations or bumps.

To get a useful graph I have suggested a manual or software based switch as well as the ability to tell the control panel when you are actually fermenting (brew start and end date/time settings)

Lets see if they make it onto the feature list.

I have 4 Pills, mine occasionally wake up while in the horizontal position due to vibrations or bumps.

To get a useful graph I have suggested a manual or software based switch as well as the ability to tell the control panel when you are actually fermenting (brew start and end date/time settings)

Lets see if they make it onto the feature list.
if you have not lodge your suggestion on the git hub page, found on the rapt FB group, at least then others can indicate interest and maybe it will be implemented.

Back