RAPT fridge...I bought 1....Review

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

usastman

Reaction score
I started this thread. Since installing the probe and dusabling the fan. The temp has remained stable...fluctuates within 1 degree Fan periodically comes in my main concern oruginally when fan was on is the frudge appeared ti be working to hard ...and was concerned about power usage.
Since fan off and temp prob...stable....3 x brews down....and happy with purchase and that bought prior to price increases

plugmeister

Reaction score
Received my new toy yesterday. Copped a small dent in transit :( Setting up was a bit buggy, and I had to register a couple of times before it was recognised. The fan noise is *very* loud. Fan vibrations are coming from the mounting plate. I wonder if anyone has experienced this and if there is a known fix? Stabilising the thin sheet metal holding the fan makes it a lot quieter. I will free up a fermenter and get a brew going to give it a proper test now :)

Attachments

Grmblz

Reaction score
Can't complain about the quality control when there isn't any, that's just plain bs, but to be expected from a beta product.
An observation: that looks very much like a computer fan, I've played around with them a lot, and found they seem to be designed to run vertically, in other words when put on their side they crap out after about 12 months of continuous running. I'm talking about the double ball bearing ones not the sleeve type. I have no doubt that kl will come up with an implausible excuse/reason, the dent isn't their fault it's the couriers, so I'm guessing they'll go with "it was working fine until the couriers damaged it" utter crap of course but typical.
fwiw what you've got is just some resonance (that fan seems to be a bit out of balance) the fix is to pull it all apart, tighten all the screws, and use some rubber grommets on the fan mounting screws, I doubt you will be reimbursed for your efforts, just make sure whatever you do that you can easily get to the fan (don't glue the panel in place) because I've got a pound to a pinch of shit it'll be dead within 3 yrs, and that's not good value for a $900 insulated box with $20 of tech in it.

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
Many PSUs have fans mounted horizontally. I actually just put one in today that did.

Grmblz

Reaction score
Well there must be different designs, with bearings designed for horizontal mounting, let's hope the rapt has one such fan, because I have a box full of dead (ok not actually dead just really noisy) fans that were mounted horizontally in fermenting fridges, the strange thing is if you hold them vertically most of them run almost silently, I now use radial blowers, and no failures so far.

plugmeister

Reaction score
Well there must be different designs, with bearings designed for horizontal mounting, let's hope the rapt has one such fan, because I have a box full of dead (ok not actually dead just really noisy) fans that were mounted horizontally in fermenting fridges, the strange thing is if you hold them vertically most of them run almost silently, I now use radial blowers, and no failures so far.
Time will tell I guess. I'm more than happy to tinker, though will get some feedback from KL and also wait for the warranty period before I start customising things too much. Tightened all the screws but no change. I have some fan bits and grommets somewhere so will try that too.

plugmeister

Reaction score
And it seems that a new fan shroud has been designed and will be shipped on arrival. During the meantime I've fixed the noise by reinforcing the current fan shroud with some tape. Also received a voucher to compensate for the shipping mishap. In the meantime I've used the fridge to cold crash my latest Kveik brews, so it's doing one of it's jobs. Will look to ferment a lager once the last cold crash is complete.

Grmblz

Reaction score
And it seems that a new fan shroud has been designed and will be shipped on arrival. During the meantime I've fixed the noise by reinforcing the current fan shroud with some tape. Also received a voucher to compensate for the shipping mishap. In the meantime I've used the fridge to cold crash my latest Kveik brews, so it's doing one of it's jobs. Will look to ferment a lager once the last cold crash is complete.
Mate, glad you got a result and good to see another kveik user here, if it wasn't so sad, and predictable it would be funny, a new fan shroud? so we are on the first shipment of a new product and already we've got a V1.1 upgrade, Oh ffs WHY? WHY can't they get their shit together and just do some real world testing before they release these things? The dent isn't their fault and good on em for the voucher (although it's pretty much industry standard)
kl (you know who you are) the next time your critical mind comes up with something, send one to a real human brewer, then listen to what he/she tells you, I know it will be hard for you because you are infallible, and wonderful, and brilliant, and a real little "know it all C" according to my LHBS that deals with you, but it would save a lot of grief for a lot of people, rant off.
Only joking, TEST YOUR PRODUCTS!
Honestly, you guys single handedly changed the face of home brewing here in Australia (when you were at KegKing) you bought affordable (cheap) gear to the masses, maybe not on par with the real gear but perfectly useable, what has happened since then? Why have you lost your way?

Latest posts