Rapidly Thaw A Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duck

Reaction score
Hi All,

Probably not your standard question... but here goes.

How do you rapidly unfreeze a fermenter ? I went down to the brewery tonight to filter and keg a brew and on getting it out of the fridge, found that the whole shebang was a beerscicle.

Yes I can leave it over night, but I need to get it in the keg and carbing up.. preferably tonight.

I have no heat mat, heating belt, immersion heater etc.... I may have a small electric fan heater that still works tho... :-/

Yob:- You told me it could happen. The closest I have come so far is a frozen airlock, but the brew was fine. I also have no STC-1000 yet (awaiting delivery from Mr Ebay) to better regulate temps.

Any suggestions guys ?

Duck

How do you rapidly unfreeze a fermenter ? I went down to the brewery tonight to filter and keg a brew and on getting it out of the fridge, found that the whole shebang was a beerscicle.
If you can lift the ******* then put it in your laundry sink full of hot water, that'll get it going. Drain and refill with hot water as often as you can be bothered.

good luck, with ya beer but have heard that freezing bursts the yeasts cells .
hope it all works out :)

get a stc 1000 or clone else ya pushing shit up hill for a small price of $25 Abouts would save ya a world of shit,
fuk i bought 2 just incase the first one stuffed up cause it come from china/hongkong but havent had any probs at all

Thanks for all the creative suggestions guys.

I don't care about the yeast cells, it was done fermenting. I have also run it through a 1 micron filter, so it should have got most out.

I used the small fan heater for an hour last night, not sure it made much difference.

Ended up leaving the fermenter out on the bench in the brewery overnight and, since my brewery (ahem.. garage) stays about 14-15C year round, it thawed enough that was able to bottle/keg the batch at 6:30 this morning.

Fingers crossed it all works out. The gravity sample I tasted was pretty good.

Mr E-bay swears my STC-1000 is due any day now !!

Duck

Back