Randal anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only had a couple of experiences with this kind of configuration, Steve from Southern Bay Brewing brought it to our annual break up a couple of times. Based on that, I'd not bother, the beer was foamy, warmed and the hops caused tons of problems blocking the line/tap etc. The issue could probably be resolved by putting the hops in stainless mesh or something inside filter housing......that said, the hop flavour/aroma was pretty awesome!

was that flowers or pellet FJ? it's coming into flavour season and I'd like to get something going this year for the backyard hops. if one of THESE would fit n there it'd be sweet..

Ive got a much smaller garden type one I bought at aldi years ago but have never got round to converting which might help keep it cooler... could always stick the filter in a bucket of ice on BBQ day which would help keep it cool maybe?

Surely the availability of hop shots precludes the need for a Randall, these days?

Or am I over-simplifying?

Are you suggesting putting the flowers on the outside of the filter Yob? 1 micron is bloody fine and would restrict flow a fair bit, extra particles in there would likely slow the pour painfully. If using it you'd have to do like you suggested and put the filter in the fridge with the keg or in ice. Keeping the beer cool would prevent excessive foaming but depending on how much air there is in the filter it's a tough one to deal with. Maybe turn the filter upside down once primed to prevent any settled gas running into the line?

Les the Weizguy said:
Surely the availability of hop shots precludes the need for a Randall, these days?Or am I over-simplifying?
I'll have a reasonable harvest of flowers from the backyard to contend with as well ;)

TheWiggman said:
Are you suggesting putting the flowers on the outside of the filter Yob? 1 micron is bloody fine and would restrict flow a fair bit, extra particles in there would likely slow the pour painfully. If using it you'd have to do like you suggested and put the filter in the fridge with the keg or in ice. Keeping the beer cool would prevent excessive foaming but depending on how much air there is in the filter it's a tough one to deal with. Maybe turn the filter upside down once primed to prevent any settled gas running into the line?
See the second item I linked, if you replace the filter with a keg hopping type device. Shit, even a stocking would probably work...

I can see I'll need to do the work on this and report, will buy one today

Missed that on the phone.
$36, what have you got to lose? If it doesn't work you've got an effective transfer filter ready when you are.
By memory with my limited experience of cartridge water filters, the element will be a 1 piece that has some sort of spigot/boss on it that allows it to slot in neatly at the top and get stabilised at the bottom. I think a single sheet of thin stainless could probably be wrapped into a tube and provided it's cut at the right height, will slot straight in. Just make sure that if you buy a pre-made unit like the screen linked that it's got a smaller diameter than the filter housing.

I've done one using a 1/2 size filter housing and replacing the filter with hopscreen like this: https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/other-in-line-transfer-screen-12mm

Capture.JPG

I converted the Aldi one Yob. Works a treat with flowers as the screens not that fine. Only costly bit was the two 3/4 to 1/4 inch adapters and JG fittings.
Bit fiddly to load though. Might be easier to run it in reverse and put the flowers down the guys.

Yob said:
was that flowers or pellet FJ? it's coming into flavour season and I'd like to get something going this year for the backyard hops. if one of THESE would fit n there it'd be sweet..

Ive got a much smaller garden type one I bought at aldi years ago but have never got round to converting which might help keep it cooler... could always stick the filter in a bucket of ice on BBQ day which would help keep it cool maybe?
Flowers, but little chunks of broken cones always drifted off and clogged things off. I like what Liam_snorkel is suggesting, using a hop screen.

I use the Aldi one with stainless reducers to fit JG fittings - the diptube from a 50L keg is the exact diameter to replace the plastic filter insert. Drilled a heap of small holes in it and it works fantastically

Sweet, I'll have a look at that too, I've got one of those laying about..

Pulled the trigger on the bigger one too

Good times

Jez said:
I use the Aldi one with stainless reducers to fit JG fittings - the diptube from a 50L keg is the exact diameter to replace the plastic filter insert. Drilled a heap of small holes in it and it works fantastically
That's handy to know. Would fit more hops that way too.

I've got one of the aldi ones somewhere on loan. i was using the plastic insert with pellets and worked fine.
i got my step down bits from bunnings.

so I got one of these just for the hell of it all... Ive not been able to use it sadly, and the response from the seller has been dismal at best

bv.PNG

seller is VERY slow to respond and just being difficult in general.. the barb is also deformed and flattened at the tip so not ideal in terms of turbulence.

Yob said:
so I got one of these just for the hell of it all... Ive not been able to use it sadly, and the response from the seller has been dismal at best

attachicon.gif
bv.PNG

seller is VERY slow to respond and just being difficult in general.. the barb is also deformed and flattened at the tip so not ideal in terms of turbulence.
I have a similar filter I have used for, you guessed it, filtering. It works with screw in John Guest connectors. **** the brass shit off and upgrade.

Yob said:

attachicon.gif
bv.PNG

Fark is the the tap shaft housing splitting? FFS that is terrible quality!

Latest posts

Back