Ram Rod

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD T

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does any one have a recipe for a copy of " Youngs Ram Rod". I sampled this wonderful brew about 15 years ago and would like to be introduced to it again.

Cheers
Brad T :beerbang:

BRAD T said:
Hi all,
Does any one have a recipe for a copy of " Youngs Ram Rod". I sampled this wonderful brew about 15 years ago and would like to be introduced to it again.

Cheers
Brad T :beerbang:
[post="55858"][/post]​
Wyeast 1318 -- London Ale III is supposed to be from Youngs (and fits the profile) so that would seem an easy choice.

Other than that I can't think of any specifics other than keep to the traditional English ale ingredients (Pale & Crystal Malt, perhaps a touch of something darker, fuggles & goldings hops - Youngs are better known for tradition than innovation.

On the other side of the coin, they are also not known for their consistency - or rather they have a (deserved) reputation for inconsistency, so trying to define a precise clone is shooting at a moving target.

Hi Sean,
Thanks for that, I asked at my LHBS but they were not able to help. I guess I will have to just try a few experiments and see what I can come up with. I am not even sure I can remember exactly what it is like after 15years or so, I just remember that I really enjoyed quite a few pints over a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Brad

brad T,

Taken off youngs website - should give you a guide...

Ram Rod (5.0% ABV)

Named after the Dorset Horn ram that lives in the brewery stables in Wandsworth, and on which the company's trademark is based.

Pale brown, fruity, vinous, hoppy beer and packed full of flavour, Ram Rod is a good example of a medium strong beer.

100% malt brew: Maris Otter and crystal malt with Fuggle and Golding hops. Target hops are added after fermentation creating its hoppy character.

Thanks Ross,
I will give it a try and see what I come up with, will let you know if it is any good.

Cheers
Brad :beerbang:

Back