Racking Vessel Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using an old plastic fermenter for racking. The problem I find with this sort of vessel is that the outlet tap is set too high. Obviously it's set that way so that it's not below the yeast cake however in my case this isn't necessary.

Just wondering if there are racking vessels available that allow you to drain the entire vessel's contents when bottling? I only do 20L batches so I'm after something small.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

I usually just tilt the standard fermenter I use for racking/priming/bottling
as it gets to the end and tip what's left (~half a glass usually) out of the
top of the fermenter into a glass - just right for quality control checking!

Yep, that's what I do too, but I have visions of the fermenter slipping and falling onto the bottles I've just filled!

You could put a bit of the spongy rubber matting between fermenter and table
to stop it slipping. I normally grab the top of the fermenter with left hand and
use left elbow to brace fermenter as I tilt it. Other hand holds bottle and push
up against bottling wand - works reasonably well. Set up bottling area where
bottles are to the side and a tub under fermenter tap to catch spills.

I'm currently fermenting in one of those 30 litres square jobs I got at the green shed.
Didn't come with a tap hole, so I drilled my own with a 19 mm hole saw, and filed it to final size. I use a nut on the inside of the fermenter to hold the tap in place, with a home made silicon washer to provide a seal. Place the hole as low as you can get it. Probably best to do it close to a corner, so it has more support from the relatively thin wall.

Latest posts

Back