Racking To Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRat

Reaction score
Hi all, very basic question.

How do i rack to the secondary?

Is it as simple as connecting a hose to my fermentor tap and draining into a new fermentor?

Do i have to worry about exposing it to new oxygen or splashing it around too much and creating vinegar?

I have done searches but i cant find answers to this very simple question.

Cheers,
BlackRat.

ensure all your gear is super sanitised. including tap on your primary vessel.

attach hose to primary tap and put end into your secondary vessel, ensure it is sitting right at the bottom so it doesnt splash your wort, open tap and allow wort to
run into secondary vessel.
I open tap slowly at first until wort is covering end of hose in secondary, then I open the tap further.

ensure all your gear is super sanitised. including tap on your primary vessel.

attach hose to primary tap and put end into your secondary vessel, ensure it is sitting right at the bottom so it doesnt splash your wort, open tap and allow wort to
run into secondary vessel.
I open tap slowly at first until wort is covering end of hose in secondary, then I open the tap further.

Great thanks, this is what i had thought, just want to double check.

Cheers,
BlackRat.

Do you have a reason to rack to secondary?

Good reasons for and good reasons against but you should know why you want to and what benefits you expect (vs risk/detriment).

Basically a fod safe hose on fermenter cube tap, open gently, try not splash, everything clean and sanitised, treat gently, should be enough.

If you have a keg system it wouldnt hurt to give a blast of co2 into your container and your syphon hose.
Have also heard of people adding dextrose/malt to get the yeast to produce some more co2.

if you can have the hose coil at the bottom of the vessel your racking into this can also help reduce splashing

holding the hose up near the primary tap when your starting the pour and then lowering it gently can also reduce airbubbles in your line

also what mantacle said, if you don't really need to rack, don't. it does open up alot of risk. i very rarely do these days unless i'm lagering

cheers

-Phill

Latest posts

Back