Racking Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
When racking your beer does anyone rack into a fridge? I brew for ~7 days until virtually ready then into the plastic jerry can and into my fridge for another 14 days, then into the keg for gassing and drinking :chug:

My fridge has space for 2 cubes (jerry cans) and 2 Corny kegs. :D (only 1 in fridge in pic, but 2 just fits in) IMG00008.JPG

I brew for 7 days on a heat pad (~18-24) and then rack for 7 days without the heat pad (~12-16) - then in keg.

I don't rack at all for draught beers:

Ferment at around 18-20 for about 7 days (or until fermented out).
Drop temperature down to 11C for another 7 days.
Rack into keg, and leave for another 7 days.
Drink.

Quick and easy, and until I force carbonate pretty much what most English breweries do.

That assumes I'm brewing an English beer or similar (nearly always true).
Bottled beers I rack once.

Sean said:

Drink.

[post="68477"][/post]​

seems you do, but just use your keg?? :blink:

QldKev said:
My fridge has space for 2 cubes (jerry cans) and 2 Corny kegs.
[post="68462"][/post]​

Hey mate, where did ya get those jerries from?
I'm looking to invest in a few in the next couple of days. Where can I pick some up?

Cheers

Ross said:
Sean said:

Drink.

[post="68477"][/post]​

seems you do, but just use your keg?? :blink:
[post="68478"][/post]​

Well yes. Fermenting "in carriage cask" doesn't lend itself to reliably clear beer. (Batemans Brewery were still doing that until 1953, BTW)

I got the jerry cans from the Local Home Brew store (Bundaberg, Qld). They were $19 I think ?. It was purchased when I got my full system; I went for these cause you can stack them.

to answer the original question i dont do that, i usually rack to secondary and ferment for a few days at fermentation temerature. I almost always get another couple of points out if it.. so i guess its up to you if you are happy with your FG before you pop it in the fridge. ;)

Stebas said:
QldKev said:
My fridge has space for 2 cubes (jerry cans) and 2 Corny kegs.
[post="68462"][/post]​

Hey mate, where did ya get those jerries from?
I'm looking to invest in a few in the next couple of days. Where can I pick some up?

Cheers
[post="70499"][/post]​

Most worthy HBS should stock a similar cube...
where are you located stebas.?? that way someone might point you in the right direction.

KoNG I live on Sydney's North Shore.

I went to the local HBS and they didn't have anything cubish, so I'm probably going to try something like Big W, K Mart, maybe even Bunnings...

well there ya go.... so do i.
Dave at north sydney has them!
he is under the grandstand at nth sydneys bears old oval.

also gerard would probably have them..
he is "northern districts brewing supplies"

www.ndbrewing.com.au he delivers

Hi Stebas,

Don't know about stackable (will try later tonight) but I just bought two 10L plastic jerry cans from Bunnings last week for secondary fermentation. They have removeable taps (can be replaced w/ a screw in bung, which is also included). I had to modify them slightly to include a junior air lock each. The cans were just under $10 each. Other hardware was roughly $8. They've got a pretty good selection of jerry cans, check 'em out (no I'm not an employee...or an investor.)

Plan to use my primary fermenter as my bottling bucket when it comes time. Last batch was done w/ Cooper's carbonation drops...w/ so so results. <_< This time it's going to be done right! :D

Regards,
Archimedes

Back